1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution for JVC Dark screen problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Pring, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Pring

Pring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've not long had a JVC 32R25EKS and noticed, like others on this forum, that in some cases (especially through RGB) the screen can be a little dark.

The only solutions I've seen were to use S-Video connections rather than RGB.

Well in my case I have managed to rectify the problem (I had an issue with Sky via normal scart as well as RGB output to games consoles). What I found was that the 'base' level of brightness (i.e. the point from which the remote can adjust up and down) was set way too low.

By going into the service menu (press the info and mute button togther), and then choosing option 2. V/C, gives access to altering the 'base' settings of brightness (as well as contrast, hue, colour and sharpness). By pushing up the base brightness a lot and base contrast a little means that on returning to normal control via the remote I have a higher starting point for adjustments and also (this is a deduction rather than a known fact!) the RGB output levels of Contrast and Brightness also adopt this new base level.

I am now one very happy person!!! Would be interested to know if this helps anyone else with similar problems.

(Note: Messing with the service menu can be dodgy - make notes of the original settings of anything you change! If you screw up, go back with the info button rather than saving!!!).

Cheers

P

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you managed to solve this problem to your satisfaction, but if you increase the brightness, all you will do is turn blacks into muddy greys - despite the name, you won't actually make the picture any 'brighter'. Brightness controls black level only.

The real problem with 'dark RGB' on these JVC sets is one of contrast. Specifically, the maximum contrast permissable for RGB. If you want to solve this problem, then that's what you should adjust as by increasing the contrast, this will make the picture appear 'brighter' and less dull.

I tried fiddling with the service menu before I returned this set for a refund, but I couldn't manage to alter the maximum contrast value for RGB feeds. Whatever I changed, the maximum contrast setting stayed the same. Can't remember if I went into the V/C options or not though as it was many months ago now! I do remember the engineer telling me that it was hard-wired on this set though... If you've managed to alter it though, then I guess he was wrong!

3. Pring

Pring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Maybe our problems were slightly different then.

In my case the brightness was definintely set too low generally, even for watching normal television - the standard brightness control via the remote could not be raised enough to bring out detail in shadows while keeping blacks black, let alone turn them to a muddy grey.

I admit to having only raised the contrast slightly in the System Menu so cannot say for certain that contrast changed on RGB output, although what I am getting now is far better than previously.

I may give it more of a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

Cheers

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our problems were indeed different then.

Please do and post here so you can satisfy mine as well ;)

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    pring,

any joy with that contrast change??

6. Pring

Pring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry been busy last few days (haven't even watched the TV let alone had a chance to fiddle with the settings).

I'll give it a go tommorrow and post.

P

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Also, does this problem affect the 32" version or maybe even the x range??

8. Pring

Pring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've just had a a chance to do a very quick and totally unscientific test of this and it does indeed appear that altering the contrast settings in the service menu does NOT affect the RGB output level.

Although I did notice that the range that the contrast can be set to in the service menu is very limited compared to the brightness range.

Oh well, apologies for giving false hope to anyone, was just pleased I had sorted out my own darkness probs.

And yes, it affects the 32" model. Not sure about the X range though.

P