Solo speaker suggestions

B

BigE

Have been looking at the solo (suits the wife's aesthetic requirments) and have tries a set of MA GS20's with it, sounded pretty cool in demo room of store. Someone has mentioned that they may be under driven by the solo,and as abit of a novice in these matters, I wondered if anyone could clarify this statement or offer other suggestions.

Thanks v much in anticipation.

BigE :hiya:

I would agree that the Solo is not really going to be up to the job of getting the best out of a pair of GS20s on its own. It will drive them quite comfortably but the speakers will be capable of sounding much better with more substantial amplification.

Other speakers I would consider which are easier to drive and be a more suitable match for the Solo would be the following:

PMC DB1+
PMC TB2+
PMC GB1
Epos M5
Epos M12.2
Epos M16

My favourite partners for the Solo are the Epos M5s and the PMC GB1s.

Cheers, thanks for info.
Would I be better off with the A70 amp and the CD73 from the DiVa range, they come in at around same price as the solo. We've taken a real shine to the MA GS20's so are happy with those, it's just a pain getting backand fwd to our local dealer so would like to have as much info to hand next time we go in.

Thanks again
:)
BigE

I believe you will get stronger amplification with the A70 which will handle the speakers, although I would still get a demo to check that they sing nicely with the A70. The CD73 is comparable performance wise with the Solo so would be a good choice.

Also forgot to mention....

advantage of going for the A70 is the ability to add the equivalent power amp at some point so that you can Bi-amp the system. always a worthwhile upgrade.

Hope that helps

Cheers Norks, have been listening for a good hour with the solo and MA's, and sounds pretty good to me, but have nothing better tocompare with so am going to have to ask a stoopid question;

Following your recent comments have looked into the idea of seperates (which the wife is warming togiven how stylish the Arcam kit looks), if I pushed the boat out and went for the A90 with the cd how would that compare with the A70 then upgrading with a pre amp.

Being new to all this can't quite get my head round intergrated amps amd pre amps, could anyone break it down into an idiot proof explanation.

Thanks

:lease:

The GS20s really desreve something more along the lines of the Arcam CD36 and A32. The ideal match would be the Arcam CD36 along with the Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp, sounds superb on the GS20s.

It seems that you may not have the capacity within your budget to support a pair of GS20's properly with the electronics they deserve. Your other options perhaps would be to get Silver RS series speakers or something else in their place and perhaps spend any spare money you had within your budget on a say perhaps a power amp.

Thought I'd throw the idea in the air.

Dan.

I have the movie Solo, and am using GR10s with the matvhing centre, sounds pretty good to me. the GR10s were new old stock, and a bargain I think at £400 a pair. You might well get some from a dealer or via a private ad.

Cheers guys for all the options. have had the A90 and cd73 running on demo all day, and the difference is very evident. I had a listen to the silver RS series but could't make out a significant improvment from the B&O red lines I'm using at moment, maybe just don't suit my hearing.
Have tried several others but nothing sound as good as the GS20's even if they are not working to their full potential.
As long as dealer can match web price I think it's the way I'm going, I can always upgrade in future and add the P90.

Thanks for all your help, I'm certainly more informed than when I started out.

:thumbsup:

As long as dealer can match web price I think it's the way I'm going, I can always upgrade in future and add the P90.

What web price would that be and from who?

Don't you think it's a little unfair to expect the dealer to automatically match the best internet price you can find as well as provide demonstration facilities?

He's retailing the amp at 980 but have seen it for 850 @ superfi, seen cd about 50 cheaper as well.

Don't expect him to match exactly but it's just a negotiating starting point, the dealer is well known locally for always being on the dearer side, a lot of it to do with our location as we're out on a limb.
Am more than happy to support the local guy, as I have with other purchases, it's all just part of the game as long we both feel as though we're happy.

Another vote for the GB1, also the smaller DB1 sounds cracking on the end of he Solo.

Can an Arcam Solo or Solo Movie 2.1 drive my power hungry (84dB sensibility) little B&W CM1s?

Anyone demoed it?

I'm using an Acoustic Reality eAR202Ref @iCEPower 100w/8hm / 200w/4ohm power amp...:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom