Solo firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Cassandra, Mar 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Cassandra

Cassandra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So, I have this rLead sitting on my desk, but my dealer seems to be having problems getting all the bits necessary to actually do the firmware upgrade together (I checked - I'm running 1.4). Is there any alternate way to get hold of the firmware and update util itself, since I have all the necessary other bits (PC, serial cable, etc.)? Getting my Solo to and from the store is something of a complicated and convoluted process, and I'd really rather not go through that again, especially if it's not going to work for a second time, and I have no idea when they'll actually be ready to do the upgrade.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have waited for the rDock, but I only just found out about its existence.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Can I ask first who is this dealer?

All dealers including myself should have access to the Arcam 'Extranet' dealer section of the Arcam website which has all the firmware updates available for download.

I would suggest first contacting Arcam and letting them know that your dealer is have trouble performing this simple task which all Arcam dealers should be up to speed on. Arcam will be able to assist the dealer how how to carry out the procedure. I think this would be a much mroe proactive approach and would ensure that this dealer is capable of doing this for other customers in the future.

I can arrange to e-mail you the files if absolutely necessary but please be aware that you do this entirely at your own risk and if you make a mess of it you will liable for a chargeable repair.

I really would recommend taking steps towards getting your dealer to do it, Arcam are usually very helpful in situations like this.

The rDock would still require a firmware update for your Solo and so would not avoid this issue.

3. Cassandra

Cassandra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure it does any good to point fingers and name names, since the whole situation wasn't their fault and I just don't feel comfortable lugging a thousand pounds of stereo equipment about on the bus. It's all sorted now anyway.

I'm not sure precisely what the rDock is supposed to do. It just seemed as though there was a possibility it might be a better option than the rLead in terms of functionality. I realise a firmware upgrade would still be necessary. I'm just wondering if I'm in effect going to be penalised for being an "early adopter".

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I believe all the rDock offers over the rLead is a suitable place to stick the iPod and the ability to charge it.