Solo Cinema going?

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
I've been to see Fast 5 and Thor this week and both times I went by myself, mianly because of work and the kids, but I've always found going with others to be more enjoyable. however, seeing that i usually don't finish work until 9pm it does make going with others who work more normal hours difficult, so I usually end up going by myself. Does anyone else go by themself regularly or would the thought of going by yourself put you off going at all?

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I've done it most of my life, many of my mates and wife just aren't that into films as me. I've worked shifts most of my adult life so will always go in the afternoon I never go at night, it makes it more enjoyable especially when the kids are at school, there's usually only a hand full of people at each performance, I bought a Cineworld unlimited card and try to go at least once a week, I hate going when there are loads of people in because most are selfish buggers eating, slurping and talking their way through the film, I find people in the afternoon are usually there like me to watch and have an undisturbed cinema experience.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I used to go all the time by myself before i got married and we had a kid. Nowadays, only go occasionally due to a combination of factors such as expense, time etc. The best time is during the week and in the afternoon or early evening for a more enjoyable experience. Sunday nights aren't too bad.

Miss Mandy

I'm by myself nearly every time I watch a film these days. It used to feel a bit odd, but now most of the films I watch are me on my own in a 300 seat screen. Once you get used to that its very difficult to watch a film in a busier screen as nearly every sound anyone makes becomes annoying and distracting.

nitram100

Distinguished Member
I like to go by myself or with my brother or fiance, as we go for the movie experience, not a social outing. We go to watch a movie, where as a group of people would probably treat it more as an excuse to chat and catch up, evidently ruining the movie itself and tainting the trip to the cinema.

As an avid movie buff, I like to be totally engrossed in the movie. Have a hard enough time dealing with other movie goers in the cinema with their mobile phones and popcorn crunching. Why would I willingly want to invite other possible distraction?

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I know a few movie buffs who live in my town so we try to go as a group, as it's nice to discuss the movie over a drink afterwards.

We go midweek when our local Odeon is normally almost empty (bar the blockbusters/ chick-flicks we tend to avoid) and thus rarely get disturbed by popcorn munching hoi polloi.

If we had a Cineworld in my town then I might well go on my tod to take full advantage of the Unlimited Card but the prospect of being sat alone in a 300 seat auditorium is slightly off putting tbh :rolleyes:

It's never been an issue for me. The film is what matters most to me and when I can't find someone to go and see a particular film with me then I go on my own.

The Welsh Ewok

I've had a Cineworld Unlimited Card for six years and i would say 95% of my visits are by myself, mainly because my gf/mates aren't as keen to see the latest releases.
Like previous posts have said, afternoon or late showings are great as you tend to avoid the hordes of teenage kids, Orange Wednesdays are best avoided!
It's great not having your chair kicked, commentary and phones beeping whilst you're trying to watch the film.
I prefer going alone as it means I can watch whatever I like rather than some poor rom com or souless big budget sequel that someone else wants to watch.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
I quite often go on my own mainly to the Prince Charles Cinema (Leicester Square) you tend to meet/see other film fans there as well so you never really feel on your own, but when I go to the Imax to see a new release I normally go with a friend or two as it a different type of film we see there.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Going to the cinema outside of the peak 4-9pm slot is pretty much the only guarantee to avoid pesky teenagers who cannot sit still for more than 5 minutes :)

Mr Original

At one time I did think you must be quite odd to go alone but as I have grown older I actually enjoy going by myself if I have the day off work during the week.

I wouldn't like to go in the evening or over the weekends as it would tend to be busier and other people would pee me off.

I have a local small cinema within walking distance and most times I have been alone I would be the only one there or maybe a couple of other viewers at least who would also be alone.

I find it very relaxing during the afternoon knowing my friends and family are at work/school and I don't have a care in the world. You can really get lost in the film, Not that I have seen anything worth getting lost in for a while but that's another story.

ps. I do tend to do that strange man head down dash-walk in and out of the cinema but hey that's just me. :D

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
My wife had a conference at the Disneyland Hotel in LA once and I tagged along for free :)
Whilst she was in the conference I was either in the parks or watching films in the Cinema. I must admit I really enjoyed the experience.

redwing

I always go by myself ive always liked it much more . I like silence and NO food lol all my GF have to have half the shop with them "want one of these ?" no. this goes on at least 15 times .

Been going on my own ever since I dont mind if its a girls film that i dont care about but i much prefer it on my own

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
For me going to the cinema is a social thing and is much enhanced by the presence of family and friends. I've only been to the cinema on my own once and that was to watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I didn't enjoy the experience and have never done it again. I'd rather not watch a film I want to see than go and watch it on my own.

KBeee

I quite often go on my own mainly to the Prince Charles Cinema (Leicester Square) you tend to meet/see other film fans there as well so you never really feel on your own, but when I go to the Imax to see a new release I normally go with a friend or two as it a different type of film we see there.

Good Grief! I've just got back from the Prince Charles Cinema, and I went on my own! :)

brian s

Distinguished Member
I'm an only child and my mother used to work at the local ABC so I often went with her before opening time and got in for free. As a result I never had a problem going to the cinema on my own.

Bri

richardb70

Distinguished Member
I used to live round the corner from a little cinema in Randwick, Sydney and going on my own (when I wasn't up for beers in the beachside bars) wasn't a problem at all.

Isn't it a little bit like watching telly, after all? Just in a different location and a much bigger screen :D

Can't see myself going to a bar or a club on my own though.

martwho

Is it just me though or when you go to a screening during the day are the cinema completely paranoid that you are illegally recording the movie!
The last few times the staff have come into the screen during the movie at least 5 times with their night vision monocular thingy and completed distracted me from the movie. You know you are not doing anything but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.
Ive even had one guy walk all the way up the stairs to the back and stand a few seats away from me for a couple of minutes:eek:

brian s

Distinguished Member
Is it just me though or when you go to a screening during the day are the cinema completely paranoid that you are illegally recording the movie!
The last few times the staff have come into the screen during the movie at least 5 times with their night vision monocular thingy and completed distracted me from the movie. You know you are not doing anything but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.
Ive even had one guy walk all the way up the stairs to the back and stand a few seats away from me for a couple of minutes:eek:

I haven't been to the cinemas in years so I haven't encountered that. It sounds spooky.:D Do they tell off the talkers and anyone else in the audience who causes a problem?

Bri

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
I have no problems going to the cinema, or even eating out, etc, alone.
I'm a pretty solitary person anyway.

In fact, I did both this afternoon, as I took the week off.

Went for a nice bit of Chinese buffet food, and then to see Priest,(which was utter pish, btw),
and what I thought would be a pleasant showing, turned into me having to tell two World Of Warcraft geeks to shut the **** up.
I have no interest in hearing your theories on werewolves and how to skin them!

mckee74

Distinguished Member
I have personally never had a problem watching a film on my own. After all, I'm there to watch the movie not have a chat.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022