Solo 2.1 optical / r-dock connections

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Biker Dave, Feb 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Biker Dave

Biker Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just bought Solo 2.1 and R-dock, what a great combo, all the reviews were right, wish i'd bought a while ago:D

I have a couple of questions regarding connections especially the digital audio connections.

I have hooked up my V+ box via component video to the SAT input and audio into SAT audio.

I then have a Panny DVD recorder via component video to the AUX input and audio into AUX audio and this is where my troubles have started:(

The R-dock uses the AUX audio as the input to enable control via the Solo handset but I want to put my DVD recorder in there! If i put the r-dock into the AV audio input I can play but not control.

This seems to be an Arcam oversight because the r-dock wouldn't require a component input into the Solo and so you lose the extra video input, wouldn't the r-dock audio have been better via the AV audio input or can this actually be achieved?

This leads to my optical questions; with the above can I get around this by connecting my DVD recorder via optical into the Solo AUX optical input?

In regard to the V+ box, I guess i also need an optical cable for this to gain the benefit of Dolby when broadcast or would this not really benefit me on a 2.1 system on broadcast material?

I have never dealt with digital audio connections so sorry if the questions are a bit simplistic but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before ordering some nice Mark Grant cables:)

2. Biker Dave

Biker Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    bump:(

anyone out there had the same issue?

Andy Dutton kindly advised that by putting the optical out from the panny into the aux digital in on the solo should default to the optical, the manual also states this however I have just tried this and no luck:confused:

The optical is new and there is light showing at the input end into the solo but no sound. I haven't tried disconnecting the analogue outputs from the panny yet thereby only giving it the optical to use.

Any other ideas gratefully received;)

3. Biker Dave

Biker Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With no luck on the panny I have now tried connecting my V+ box via optical, still no good. I have left the analogues connected and the disconnected them with the same result, no audio:thumbsdow

I have checked the manual and there is no reference to switching between modes etc. I'm beginning to think I have brought the 'dud' one.

As yet Aracm support have not answered so I am now well and truly stuck.

Any ideas now welcomed as I don't really want to pull it all apart but it seems to be heading that way and back to Arcam.:lease:

4. Biker Dave

Biker Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    All fixed:thumbsup:

Faulty optical cable.

In regards to the switching the system works exactly as Andy advised so I now have my rdock controlled by the Arcam remote in the aux analogue and when I need the panny dvd the optical overides the rdock aux and all is well.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.:smashin: