Solid Wood cabinet/stand

cunnas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I currently have an IKEA faux wood TV cabinet that sits in the corner of my front room. Inside the cabinet is a PC, Sky and Blu Ray but I am thinking of getting an AV Amp so I have run out of space.

I actually want a more open stand - we got the cabinet with lockable doors about 7 years ago as we have young kids and we (I) was worried about them poking and prodding things. But they are a bit older now so that (hopefully) won't be an issue.

I like wooden furniture, especially chunky unpolished wood. What I would like is a fairly long (2-3m) cabinet made of wood that has sections for 4 or 5 devices. I want to have it running along the wall of the living room, taking the TV and devices from the corner and centralising it - this will also allow me to get a 2.1/5.1 speaker setup without having to wall mount anything - I would just have the speakers on top of the cabinet with all wires hidden behind.

I have obviously googled such things but they are either extremely expensive (my budget is flexible but I don't want to go over £400) or they are just 1m wide.

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated?

I wish I had paid more attention to wood working at school as I am in theory after something with an extremely basic design!

As an example of what I am after I stumbled on this...

Mantis Light Natural Solid Mango TV Cabinet

I would want something treble the width and higher so the sections have a bit of breathing space but it gives you an idea!

Last edited:
I doubt you will get a shop or joiner built stand of the length you want under £400 ...

saying that, i came across this on ebay and looks like the seller can build to size ...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ended up finding a woodwork shop near to me who delivery as the cost of delivery on the thing I wanted was £220!!

Handmade Rustic Furniture | Solid Wood Furniture From FCF UK are building me a bespoke TV cabinet
s-l1600.jpg

Similar to this but 2.1m wide with a middle partition so 4 separate component spaces and a lot deeper. Just over £400 so I am pretty happy with that - should last a lifetime!

It has arrived and it is a thing of beauty! There's a back panel but need to drill some hole in it before putting it on. Can't beat the smell and quality of wood!

IMG_1478207856.543818.jpg

that looks amazing and is EXACTLY like something i am after, my amp is 43cm deep and i cant find a cabinet anywhere that will fit it adequately.

Do you mind me asking the dimensions of yours? Length and Depth? also did they deliver this to you or did you have to collect it? and how long from order until completion?

Many thanks

Length 210cm, 45cm deep and 57cm high.

Bought it from funky chunky furniture in South Shields - asked them to custom make it, they do great stuff but I had this design in mind. Cost £430 (inc delivery) but I am only 20 mins away so might be more if you are further away. Although on their website they say free UK delivery. Check them out, they are excellent - rang them with a design a week ago, delivered last night!

Handmade Rustic Furniture | Solid Wood Furniture From FCF UK

also by back panel how do you mean? take it the back panel wont be as thick as the rest of the wood? how will you attach it?

Out of interest what size TV do you have, i have just ordered a 65'' but want to put speakers on the stand either side of the tv, i think the same dimensions as yours will just work

Tv is 146cm wide, and the speakers are 12cm each, so 210cm would do it easily :)

also by back panel how do you mean? take it the back panel wont be as thick as the rest of the wood? how will you attach it?

Back panel is just a thin piece of wood screwed on - I need to drill 4 holes in to it to feed the cables through - or I might just cut a square out in the middle so all the cables exit through one hole - haven't decided yet!

TV is 42" - looks TINY in that photo!

I am planning on getting an AVR and bookshelf speakers which will go on the stand. The stand weights about 150KG!

The back panel wasn't actually part of my spec - they put it on themselves but have screwed it in and it is a strong piece of wood, not like the cardboard type back panels you get from IKEA. They should have considered drilling a hole in though, don't think they thought it through - it looks nice on but there's no space to feed the cables through the back! It's no big deal though, it's a small project for me and a pretty simple one at that!

Will you be putting four holes in the back then? one behind each segment?

That's the plan

or, as I said, I might cut a rectangular hole right bang in the middle, re-attach it to the stand and then each compartment would have part of the rectangular hole at the back - so the top left compartment would have a hole bottom right, top right compartment the hole would be bottom left....and so on - have to work something out as my carpentry and even drilling skills are basic at best!

ahhhh i understand :) will most likely end up ordering one of these from them.

if you mentioned the holes in the backboard do you reckon they wouldv put them in themselves???

yeh definitely. As I mentioned, in my design there was no backboard so not sure why they felt the need to put one on. I am glad they did though as it does help hide the wires but I suspect it was an afterthought and they did not think it through completely!

Hi mate, i contacted them but they said they only do the TV cabinets in Pine and not oak, is yours Pine?

They also said the thickness of each piece can be 1.5, 2 or 3 inches. What is it that you have as i like how you have it?

Thanks

Also what colour stain did you have and any photos of it in the light? cheers buddy

the colour I got was medium oak - we have a few other bits of furniture which are that colour.

Will post some photos when I get chance - might be tomorrow as by the time I am back in tonight, it will be dark again!

The colour is actually very similar (ever so slightly darker) than the photo I put from the cabinet I originally saw on ebay

awesome, thanks. also which thickness did you go for for yours? and is it pine?

yes it is pine - 2" thickness everywhere. You can get 3" I think which might look nice having a thicker plank at the top but obviously the price will change

ok i have just done a sketch and sent off for a quote *GULP!*

Mine would be 180cm wide, by 60cm tall. Lets see what they come back with :) would ideally like some floating wall shelves to match which i have seen they sell aswell

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom