Solid timber for DIY rack, what are the costs?

Thanks Flimber,

Unfortunately Ikea dont deem NI as worthy of a store :(

oh and check you pm box when you get a chance :thumbsup:

all the best

ad

Check yours too.

Mike.

I am currently facing pretty much the exact same probelms and decisions to be made as buns! I like the Arca furniture but it isn't quite right/too expensive etc. so intend to attempt to build my own cabinet to house equipment below my Plasma.

I have settled on using pre-veneered mdf and getting hold of it isn't a problem (there are several places a mile down the road from me that stock it , at least according to their websites!)

The tricky bit is the finished edge. I don't want to use iron on strip for all the reasons discussed above which leaves solid wood lipping.

However I'm not really sure of the best way to attch it.
Should I add the lipping to each panel before the panels are assemebled into the cabinet or should I build the cabinet and then attach what will basically look a picture-frame of lipping to the front of it? And how do I attach the lipping? Just glue? Glue and nails (leaves nail heads which is a bit ugly)?

How thick should the lipping be? Will it look odd from the side as it will never totally match the veneered panel?

Finally, when joining all the veneered mdf panels together the chances are that there are going to be some screw heads visible. How can I cover these? Can you get just the veneer to make little screw caps? Maybe I can just cut the veneer off some mdf scraps to make them!

Do these questions make sense? I can knock up some pictures if you've no idea what I'm talking about!

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks,

-Steve

Solid lipping is not your answer, its 'job in life' is to go on MDf / chipboard panels before they are veneered.

Your best bet is to put a moulding on the edges with a router and seal the MDF edges with some MDF sealer after a few coats, sanded inbetween, it will blend in nicely.

And as for your screws :nono: dowels for MDF give a much better joint and no heads!

End of my MDF lesson for today :lesson:

:)

Taz, thanks for the impromptu lesson! Unfortuanately the slow student is struggling to get a 100% clear solution in his head!

When you say put a moulding on, do you mean attach a solid strip of pre-moulded wood or do you mean rout the edge of the mdf panel?

The edge I want to "make good" needs to be flat and will be covered by a door. It only really needs to be done for basic cosmetic purposes when the door is opened.

A brief side on view in ASCII-art is:

############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D
############!D

## = Veneered mdf panel
! = Cut edge of mdf panel theat needs to be finished
D = Door that will cover the cut edge when closed but will allow it to be seen when open

I really just want something that is flat. I could just use the iron-on stuff or even paint it as it won't be seen that often but I I'm sure there must be a better, more professional way!

As for the dowel vs screws; I was planning on both! Are dowels really going to be that much stronger than screws? I would like these joints to be pretty strong and am already concerned that they won't be strong enough (see my query to viper_va in the MDF A/V rack thread in the DIY forum). I like the idea of doing a basic lap joint (if that's the correct name) for some added strength. Not sure how well lap joints and dowels work together though!

Thanks,

-Steve

Originally posted by steve-j

When you say put a moulding on, do you mean attach a solid strip of pre-moulded wood or do you mean rout the edge of the mdf panel?

Ok, just use the MDF sealer route and you will be fine.

Where I work, we make V exspensive funiture, none of our furniture is screwed together, its dowled and glued together.

Joints are no good at all on MDF because the outer skin on MDF gives it its strenght so forget them.

:)

where would we look to get the acoustically transparent cloth? any ideas?

ad

Thanks guys, I'll have to ask Rick about it.

Here is a plan of what I want someone to build for me out of reasonable good quality wood that I can finish to my own cherry spec :)

I havent yet decided on the depth of the unit, probably something near 24 inches. I think the internal partitions will be a little less so that there is room for cables. The thickness of the wood I had intended to be 3/4 inch.

thoughts anyone?

thanks

Ad

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 408
Nice plan Buns,

How are you going to hinge the doors? if at all??

One more thing... whats an inch:confused:

;)

The idea was to have hidden hinges, a bit like those we have on our mfi kitchen cabinets. Of course that and anything else may well change once i find someone to construct if for me....... Im pretty much used to doing out plans and let someone else decide on the final smaller details. Last step...... get a cabinet maker! Fortunately I have the week off so will g around and get a few quotes

all the best

ad

As its you....

Mail me a few sketches and I will redraw it with my CAD system.

This way I can provide you with some cutting lists to take to your chippy.

;)

Buns, are you some kind of psycho who is stalking me and stealing my plans; that cabinet looks very similar to the one I'm planning;)

My plans are currently in Excel (I know it's not exactly a conventional design tool but it works for me!) so it makes them a bit tricky to post here. If you want to see them I can send the file to you.

My plan looks just like yours except that the center cabinet is just a void where the subwoofer will go with a dummy door clipped over the front to make it look like one big cabinet. Plus I'm going for adjustable shelving inside.

Also my plans are in mm so Taz will be happy:)

Hopefully I'll get the chance to pop down to the 2 timber merchants just down the road from me tomorrow to check out what they have in the way of veneered mdf and matching solid timber to make the doors.

As for speaker cloth, Google brings up several places with websites that sell it (search for "Speaker Cloth"). Or just go to Maplins as mentioned above.

-Steve

Ta kindly Taz :D

I'll drop you a message!

all the best

Ad

The proposed cabinet just looks like an Ikea Magiker. Are you building yours significantly bigger or something ? Else, £49 gets you the Ikea one.

Mike.

Mine would be significantly bigger...... 6 foot wide in total

all the best

ad

looks awfully good thanks! ;)

You think something like that will be easy enough for a cabinet maker to construct?

Ad

wow...... i think i need to get me a copy of this software! :D It looks really fantastic, I am in much debt!

Now Im going to get on the phone and find me a construction person!

ad

Taz/Buns

That is superb, I'm another one who is thinking of getting a cabinet built along the same lines, there is got to be a fairly large market for this sort of thing, I know Arca make some nice stuff but 900 quid is out of my range. Mine needs to kind of match the 'Amber' Ducal furniture in the lounge and unfortunately Ducal have stopped making this kind of furniture. Taz you could make some money for 'consultancy and producing the plans', now shall I give up the day job and start up a new business....oh I wish I could.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom