Solid timber for DIY rack, what are the costs?

buns

Ex Member
Reaction score
Need a rack for an upcoming plasma and to house equipment. I love the look of the arca stuff, but Im almost out of cash so cant afford the price tag. It is a fairly simple design so I was considering building something along the same lines. Number one way is to use MDF and then veneer or fablon it. However, I think it would be nicer if I could just make it out of solid timber that just would need varnished. This presents the problem that Ive never really looked for reasonable quality wood. I have a few places I can go to look but it will be a few days til I can go and look. Does anyone know the sort of costs? Say for a solid lump that is 72 inches by 22 inches by I guess something like 3/4 inch?

many thanks

ad

Why don't you just buy veneered m.d.f and give it 4 coats of clear varnish you won't be able to tell it aint solid timber.

Adrenochrome.

But...

You will need to add a solid timber lipping to give the effect.

Go for 19mm x 19mm lipping for 18MM MDF then sand down flush.

If you get stuck for lipping, give me a shout.

:smashin:

Originally posted by buns
Does anyone know the sort of costs? Say for a solid lump that is 72 inches by 22 inches by I guess something like 3/4 inch?

many thanks

ad

What sort of timber are you after??

I can get you a price from work to give you some idea.

Thanks guys...... what is lipping? Is that like adding a trim? Veneering the edges?

I only propose solid timber because it sounds the easiest route needing only cutting and sanding. Im afraid that this being my first fo at veneering would end up a mess :(

Taz,
I dont really know what im looking for, I guess something cherry kind of finish, but in realist that doesnt really matter since it would be easy enough to stain. Just some decent quality wood that doesnt have w whole load of holes or imperfections..... i get the feeling thats not a terribly good description! Might just have to wait til I can get to a merchants somewhere!

thanks again

ad

Thanks guys...... what is lipping? Is that like adding a trim? Veneering the edges?

Lipping is added to an MDF panel before its veneered so that the ends of the MDF look like solid timber. as I said, for 18mm MDF you would use 19MM square timber and sand top and bottom to flush before veneering it.

I'll sketch something up to show you what i meen.

;)

Attachments

• 1061 core & lipping.gif
    1061 core & lipping.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 693
Ah thats great thanks Taz, pretty much lipping is what it sounds then! However I still suspect that it would be tough to veneery it cleanly, backed up by anpther member getting his done on a 40 grand machine!

all the best

ad

Does anyone know the sort of costs? Say for a solid lump that is 72 inches by 22 inches by I guess something like 3/4 inch?

many thanks

ad

Just asked at work and depending on the timber around £50.

thanks Taz..... thats quite costly...... there would be a couple of hundred pounds of wood...... maybe it would be easier to find someone to veneer it for me!

ad

Buns you should be able to buy an 8x4 sheet of 19mm cherry veneered m.d.f. for circa£40 and while you are at it get a roll of iron on cherry veneer and just iron it on.

I'd defy anyone to tell you it ain't solid cherry (which incidentally is quite soft for a hardwood).

Adrenochrome.

where would you buy that? Just B&Q

ad

God forbid no they would only charge you too much.

Find a small woodyard with a trade counter and get some prices from them.

Adrenochrome.

how good or bad would a cherry fablon that you get from B&Q look on MDF? would it just look cheap and crap or would it look half ok?

ad

It would look crap mate.

I have a solid red oak floor with pretend cherry veneer tannoy speakers and i know what i prefer.

Adrenochrome.

not a man to mince words! :D

Maybe just paint it then..... does it sound like im suddely realising the magnitude of my proposal?!

ad

Paint is a 4 letter word mate:laugh:

Trust me you'll be glad you went with the veneered m.d.f. with 4 coats of lovely gloss varnish on it:cool:

Adrenochrome.

Buns: Have a close look at the edges on commercially produced furniture or even Monitor Audio Silver series cabinets. I'm pretty sure they're made from pre veneered panels that are then machined. You will find that the exposed edges are usually just the MDF core stained the same colour as the rest of the item.
Easy finish.

I wanted some MDF panels and had them cut to size (for a small extra charge) at my local timber shop. Then it just becomes a basic self assembly exercise.

Thanks again,

adrenochrome: am i right in thinking that I can get the veneer to do the edges at the same wood merchants that would sell the veneered MDF?

Avanzato: It would be great is somoene could cut it all for me, save me having to buy a circular saw! Will look into that as well!

many thanks

ad

Thanks again,

adrenochrome: am i right in thinking that I can get the veneer to do the edges at the same wood merchants that would sell the veneered MDF?

many thanks

ad

Yeah you would be right, just a pity you ain't in Scotland as we offer a free cutting service.

Adrenochrome.

Pointless of me to mention it - but I will do anyway :clown:

Last season Ikea carried this item:

MARKÖR.JPG

It was hidden away in their 'dining' range - which might explain why nobody else but me noticed them. The dimensions were very close to an Arca cabinet (the '200', IIRC ?) and the feet are very similar too...but this Ikea version was less than a tenth of the price :eek: In the flesh it looked nice, was sturdy enough for a brace of A/V kit and the handles are changeable if you'd prefer something less faux antique or whatever.

I never managed to get over to the Leeds one near me to buy one and then they discontinued it for 2004 :( I'm thinking about asking them to reinstate it or source me one somehow but I'm not hopeful.

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom