Solid timber for DIY rack, what are the costs?

I recently built a TV cabinet and had the same conundrum you did. After comparing the prices of the MDF and the costs of veneering/covering with the prices of a softwood such as pine the prices are actually very similar. I ended up buying a nice big piece of pine from Wickes (much cheaper then B&Q/Focus, where I also tried). If you do need a lot I'd recommend a local wood yard like someone mentioned above, theres bound to be one somewhere close.

Im happy with the way its turned out, it looks much better than a veneered MDF panel, which will always have that funny MFI look, although it is much easier to work with.

Folks,
I'm facing the same dilemma, having looked everywhere for suitable furniture, as the other half wants all the gear hidden!

I'm considering building a cabinet approx 120cm W x 60cm H x 60cm D, with enough space for 2 full-size components side by side, maybe 3 or 4 shelves high.
As I'd like the 'chunky' look, I was considering the straight-edged w/tops from Ikea in solid oak or birch for the outside frame.

Would appreciate any feedback/ideas,etc from you woodworkers out there...!

Thanks

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom