Solid timber for DIY rack, what are the costs?

buns - ignore me in the ARCA thread - looks like it is coming on well, where are you getting the 'acoustically transparent cloth'? Will this also allow IR signals through or are you going to use a repeater?

The cloth came from cpc..... I have way too much in fact so if you only wanted a small amount I could sell you it.

ad

Not sure I have decided on what to do for a cabinet when the plasma goes on the wall but I am thinking that enclosed and child proof might be worthwhile - s'pose that's why I am interested in what the 'finished' article will look like.

D J Fryer feel free to give me a shout if you need any CAD stuff doing and as you in H/W I should be able to help with the machining and materials if that helps
:)

Im very almost done..... just got to fit the last piece of cloth and finish a couple of edges..... hope to complete this evening then I will do my best to post piccies.... might just give up and post them on photobucket or something..... I have no problms elsewhere posting pics.... just here!

all the best

ad

rack is done.... kit is in and plasma is on the wall. I do have a pic but the problem of posting remains (since I have nothing to resize them). If you can suggest a proggy for me to download such that I can post, that would be great!

ad

Thanks Taz, will do this evening :D

ad

Thanks, that may well do the trick..... we'll find out in a couple of seconds!

ad

Attachments

• 101_0133.jpg
    101_0133.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 254
wahay it works! Now to get the system in a similar state!

ad

it is just the cherry type standard contiboard with some varnish to cover imperfections a bit.

IR works just fine..... in fact If you were wanting to do something similar I recommend doubling up on the cloth since you can see the displays of the kit that is in the rack.....

ad

Unfortunately cloth is a no-no after discussion with my better half - we have a parrott who would like nothing better than to chew the stuff or climb up it! Looks like either an IR repeater or RF solution for me!

ah thats a shame because I think the cloth is really neat solution :(

ad

I dont know..... Im sure I will try it sometime and find out!

ad

Cabinet looks really good mate :smashin:

Can you tell me where you got the materials from?, the finish looks very good even from the pic!... Oh, and do you find heat a problem at all? (especially with those amps!!!)

Saying that, I'm not sure if I prefered the room with the fixed screen or not ;)

I take it you got rid of the projector, or is this another cinema room?!?! :D

Regards,
Iain.

Thanks Iain :)

Materials were all from B&Q so easy to get hold of. Heat wise im not sure, I havent really had everything on and running that much yet. The back is open and the front doors are nothing more than very thin bits of cloth, so ventillation I dont expect to be too much of a problem.

Projector has gone for the time being, the machines I upgraded too really didnt please me as I wished them to. And the room itself had changed since you saw it (because the screen would have been only about 5.5 feet or less in size) so was rotated through 90 degrees. It did give for a full pulleyed aspect ratio controlled screen, but the room just didnt look livable! So its the plasma for a couple of years until I get a room that really suits a top notch projector system :)

ad

buns said:
Projector has gone for the time being, the machines I upgraded too really didnt please me as I wished them to.

ad

That's a shame mate, I'm surprised the Z2 didn't do the business for you, what was the problem/s?

Did you try any others? I seem to remember you mentioning the Sony's when I was there.... Or are these not "top notch" enough for your plans in a couple of years :D goodness knows what your thinking of for then :smoke:

Regards,
Iain.

Iain Shields said:
That's a shame mate, I'm surprised the Z2 didn't do the business for you, what was the problem/s?

Did you try any others? I seem to remember you mentioning the Sony's when I was there.... Or are these not "top notch" enough for your plans in a couple of years :D goodness knows what your thinking of for then :smoke:

Regards,
Iain.
The black levels on the Z2 just werent good enough and I also got into the grayscale analysis and this was not really a strength of the Z2. I then tried the NEC HT1100 dlp and was impressed except I could see rainbows and I have only just returned it to the supplier. The conclusion I have come to is that in the room I have and the things that bother me, it just cant be done. So im on the plasma until I have a much bigger room with much more room for a nice discrete install..... chances are that will be at least 2 years down the line so hopefully one of the projector technologies will have advanced to the point of satisfying me!

In any case..... my initial impressions is that the plasma provides a nicer image so for now im quite happy :)

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom