Solid timber for DIY rack, what are the costs?

I found that custom prices around here are totally nonsensical so I have ended up making my own..... looks reasonably good considering im a total amateur. I just have the doors to complete then it is totally done :D

I would post pic...... but they are too big to fit :(

ad

Shall do Taz..... might not happen tonight though..... for some reason my connection is like treacle tonight..... :(

ad

it is all running a bit smoother now...... must have been ntl doing something daft :eek:

Sent you a pic Taz....

all the best

ad

:smashin: Very nice indeed, I hope your proud, you should be, its great. If you get stuck with the doors, gie me a shout and I'll see what I can do. ;)

Hope you dont mind, but..........

Attachments

• 101_0124.jpg
    101_0124.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 387
thanks Taz! I have 2 of the frames for the doors made, it is just a case of getting the fabric attached..... so hopefully the finishing will now be easy!

For anyonw wondering, that is not my permanent display, panny plasma will be ordered some point today!

ad

Buns, what type of material did you use in the end (wood/mdf/chipboard/other ?)

Looks good

Thanks Eviljohn! :)

Charlie, I ended up using contiboard..... veneered chipboard

ad

Any plans to add feet at some stage? The bottom components will get very dusty very quickly otherwise.

I'm also using some contiboard in my "rack". It came out really well after a couple of coats of matt black paint and wasn't too expensive.

By "rack" I mean I've got a stack in this order:

Lamp
Coaster
Denon 1802 amp
Shelf
Squash balls
Thin pads to stop rubber damaging veneer of...
BK XLS200 sub
Doorstops
Shelf
Carpeted floor

It's amazing what can be constructed with a bit of thought and some gravity! Unfortunately the amp's a bit lopsided because of the large heatsinks on one side squashing the squash balls :blush:

:D I use squash balls for the speakers...... you cant see them in the bic because they are installed in the wall (pretty good given their size!). The feet I fave considered but the whole thing is very heavy and I dont know I can be bothered lifting it! In any case, their will be doors going on the front (wooden frame with acoutically tansparent cloth inset) which should help the dust issue. Might get it all completed tomoz...... will post when i have :)

ad

I can't see the squash balls because the speakers aren't in the picture. :)

Rather than dedicated feet, maybe some strips along the length and a cross in the middle for strength? You certainly wouldn't want it to sag! Or leave it as one of those other things to at some stage in the future...

Looks great mate, shame about those dodgy Taiwanese power amps;):D:devil:

Originally posted by eviljohn2

Rather than dedicated feet, maybe some strips along the length and a cross in the middle for strength?

Plinth assembly... lets get the terminology correct please:lesson:

:D

Originally posted by Smurfin
Looks great mate, shame about those dodgy Taiwanese power amps;):D:devil:

Cheeky Git! I'll have you know those are Serbian...... remember what happened last time someone called them dodgy!? :p

ad

Originally posted by Taz
Plinth assembly... lets get the terminology correct please:lesson:

:D
I'm a physicist, not a joiner!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll pick you up on wave and electrical theory in other forums. :laugh:

I got the idea across anyway ;)

Originally posted by eviljohn2
I'm a physicist, not a joiner!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll pick you up on wave and electrical theory in other forums. :laugh:

I got the idea across anyway ;)

And i'm a programmer not a cabinet maker hence the :D

:smashin:

One door completed and a short term 'plinth' solution added :D

how come I can never get pics to fit on here!? What do i need to resize to the right size and where do i download it?!

ad

When you reply, under the smilies look for Attach file.

Maximum size is 102400 bytes (I stick to 500 x 500 pixels)

Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg mid

Click the Browse.. button and locate the image on your PC.

Then submit reply. :)

HTH

I do all that..... but I almost never manage to have a picture of an appropriate size. If it is too big in memory, then i downsize and it inevitably then tells me it is too big in pixels..... so most often im so peed off by then that I give up!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom