Solid Stone Speakers

Southernspeaker

Novice Member
Hello,

I have no idea about speakers etc.

I have attached 2 photos of the stones speaker cases, the hole measures 125mm in diameter.

How could these be made into speakers with good output? Is there a way of testing 'resonance' etc. What other factors need to be taken into account to eliminate the chances of a 'bad sound' being produced. Is there free sound software to do this, etc.

Thanks

SS

Attachments

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To be honest the hole does not look big enough behind where the speaker would be. A speaker cabinet is basically empty space and the driver needs this space to sound good. If you look at the spec for a driver it often tell you the volume required for the box it is going to be placed in. Speaker manufacturers also spend a lot of money designing cabinets correctly to sound good. A hollowed out bit of stone is not going to sound good imho. You would also need to find a way to secure the driver to the stone and since it only has one hole you will only get one mid driver in so where would the tweeter go?

Wilseus

Novice Member
Southernspeaker said:
I have no idea about speakers etc.

I have attached 2 photos of the stones speaker cases, the hole measures 125mm in diameter.

How could these be made into speakers with good output? Is there a way of testing 'resonance' etc. What other factors need to be taken into account to eliminate the chances of a 'bad sound' being produced. Is there free sound software to do this, etc.
I think this is going to be much more difficult and complex than you think it is. There is far more to building a speaker than putting a drive unit in a box. You could read whole books on the subject and still not know everything. If you want to mount a drive unit in those and you want to avoid having to worry too much about crossovers and cabinet volumes etc I think the easiest option is to use some sort of full range unit from the likes of Lowther or Fostex. I can tell you now though that you won't get much in the way of bass and they won't play loud.

ashenfie

I made some speakers a while back. The inside volume in of the inside speaker is a vital part of any design. You have to work out the volume then find a speaker(s) to match. Cross overs can be build based on design supply be speaker manufacture.
Alex

BarnDoor

I reckon you should shove in a cheap 4" ceiling speaker!

AndyST

Novice Member
In theory a solid stone 'cabinet' could have many benefits over wood. High mass and virtually no cabinet resonances due to it's one piece structure. Crafting such a thing into a good sounding speaker on the other hand would take some precision masonry work and lots of trial and error (software design only gets you so far), so wouldn't be cheap.

MDF is only used by most manufacturers because it's cheap and easy to work with, not because it has superior qualities to other materials.

daytona600

125mm approx 5inch You could install 4 or 5inch full range drivers these need no crossovers
check out wilmslow audio , fostex tanbang lowther etc , some of the best speakers in the world use
full range drivers eg 5inch driver rethm trisna www.rethm.com