Solid State Drives... Worth it?

avinitski

Novice Member
im not an expert in this but i have read that the only SSD's worth considering are the new Intel X25-M ones.

does anyone have a SSD what are they like? particularily the Intel ones.

HellRazer

Standard Member
I do not believe the current SSD technology is worth the price they are asking for. My advice would be to wait just a little longer and see what they come up with. If the sound of your hard drive is really annoying you have you considered purchasing another one?

Western Digitals are known to be really silent during operation. I read that their 500gig ones are extremely quiet during load. I don't know if you need a hard drive that big but it would never hurt to have that extra storage space :)

Afterall...you were considering splashing out on a SSD.

Plasma Dan

Western Digitals are known to be really silent during operation. I read that their 500gig ones are extremely quiet during load. I don't know if you need a hard drive that big but it would never hurt to have that extra storage space :)

Afterall...you were considering splashing out on a SSD.
Well... I built this system to be quiet, as my old PC sounded like a jet engine :mad:.

So I wanted the new one to be as silent as I could get it. I even bought one of those £10 ultra silent Enermax fans for the back :eek:.

I only wanted a cheap HDD for the OS, I already have a 500GB HDD in there (MAXTOR)

I think you are right tho, I should wait for one. Just can't wait to have a silent running ultra fast SSD :D.

I know the write speeds are bad on the current models, but I wouldn't be writing much anyway, it's just an OS drive.

Cheapest SATA drive I can find is on SCAN for £98.

:rolleyes: ...Think how fast it would boot up with one of those... :rolleyes:

HellRazer

Standard Member
Definately just wait considering how fast they've been able to increase the storage capacity on these things. Now you can get a 32gig SSD for £130 odd? I know the price is £130 but I would like to think that it's affordable.

Only a few months ago they were only coming out with 2, 4, 8 and 16gig solutions and asking for a fortune!

annihilatorx

Novice Member
I have 2 ultra expensive Mtron SSDs RAID 0 with my computer. Too my gripe the newer Intel SSDs are both cheaper and even surpassing my RAID 0 performance.

I'd say SSDs are great for your Windows installation. It is not worth spending on a high capacity SSD any higher than 16GB for XP or 32GB for Vista. It'd provide your computer speedy bootup and general usage like AV scanning, searching for files, etc. But if you don't mind your windows booting speed, then I guess you can wait until SSD comes down in price further.

Becareful with the SSD with MLC flashs and JMicron controllers n them. They are known to cause choppy freezes. E.g. the OCZ Core SSDs. But the new Intel SSD which is also MLC doesn't have this problem.

In my comptuer setup, I have my vista x64, which uses nearly 18GB of space, installed on my SSD array. Most large applications, except smaller ones are installed on my other drives. Perhaps it's because of Vista's caching mechanism, loading big programs like Adobe illustrator when they are installed on a normal HDD is lightning quick (Photoshop and Illustator loads under 3 seconds). I can't say about XP since it doesn't cache frequently used programs though.

Plasma Dan

In my comptuer setup, I have my vista x64, which uses nearly 18GB of space, installed on my SSD array. Most large applications, except smaller ones are installed on my other drives. Perhaps it's because of Vista's caching mechanism, loading big programs like Adobe illustrator when they are installed on a normal HDD is lightning quick (Photoshop and Illustator loads under 3 seconds). I can't say about XP since it doesn't cache frequently used programs though.
I have the same OS, total space im using at the MO, is 25GB, (that's after I reduced the System Restore usage to 4GB) :eek:

I used to have software on another drive, but I got tired of constantly spinning up drives :mad:

I'm thinking about one of those 32GB OCZ drives, but I know they are not the best when it comes to performance :(

I'm just looking for a little increase in speed, & silent running :smashin:

One more thing, can't seem to find a 2.5" to 3.5" drive caddy :(, my main supplier is SCAN, as I live 2 mins from the warehouse :rolleyes:, but I don't think they sell one :eek:

Dan. :thumbsup:

jetinder

Novice Member
On the internet a few places did tests of SSDs v HDDs currently HDDs win.

Wait until a few years until SDDs gets better and faster and you get more gb for the £.

can't seem to find a 2.5" to 3.5" drive caddy
I think you mean brackets to hold a 2.5" in 3.5" drive bay.

Try :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-To-3-5-Hard-Disk-Drive-Mounting-Bracket-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ260292265749QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260292265749&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A4|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can then put that in to 3 1/2 drive bay or caddy.

Last edited:

annihilatorx

Novice Member
The newer SSD, e.g. Intel X-25 SSD, is faster than HDDs both in average transfer rates, and random seek times.

High end HDDs can have 75MB/s average transfer speed (Max 100 Min 50 depending on seeking radius of disc head).
Newer SSDs can get to 110-130MB/s. (Max=Min, i.e. constant transfer speed)

Older SSDs are slower than HDDs in transfer speed (~50MB/s) but a lot quicker in random seek.
HDD has seeking tome of 12ms while SSDs have 0.1ms

Random seeks helps when you find files, load small applications. Booting windows tend to rely more on random seeking.

avinitski

Novice Member
On the internet a few places did tests of SSDs v HDDs currently HDDs win.

Wait until a few years until SDDs gets better and faster and you get more gb for the £.

I think you mean brackets to hold a 2.5" in 3.5" drive bay.

Try :-

2.5" To 3.5" Hard Disk Drive Mounting Bracket + Adaptor on eBay, also Case Accessories Parts Kits, Desktop PC Cases, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 25-Oct-08 21:38:05 BST)

You can then put that in to 3 1/2 drive bay or caddy.
wait a few years? i really dont think that is necessary, already the new Intel SSD are providing good results.

Embarker

The review, puts the OCZ 64gb at the top on performance/cost.

Now the V2 60gb is out which is even faster, that is the one for the top of your list and are circa £160.

Now i am tempted :smashin:

Embarker

Just a quick question, will vista actually load on a 30gb SSD?

And where can you get 2.5 to 3.5 bay adapters

Last edited:

tertiary77u

Novice Member
I'm with everyone else. You should wait until the prices come down and space goes up in a few years as they inevitably will.

AML

Just wanted to add that the OS is also important. Both Vista and XP are NOT optimised for SSDs. I doubt this is something they could fix with a patch or Service pack. I think they would need to rewrite the OS completely. (not really sure about this)

Good news is that Windows 7 will have support for SSDs, so I think thats something else we should all wait for too. (not just SSD prices, size and speed)

Dan Drake

Standard Member
Personally I would say one of the newest samsung spinpoint drives would be better for now- there almost silent and have amazing speeds especially in raid0.

As for the 2.5" bay if you were to get the SSD i would suggest you suspend the drive in the 3.5" bay using elastic this way the drive has better cooling and you dont have to pay any extra.

Embarker

Personally I would say one of the newest samsung spinpoint drives would be better for now- there almost silent and have amazing speeds especially in raid0.

As for the 2.5" bay if you were to get the SSD i would suggest you suspend the drive in the 3.5" bay using elastic this way the drive has better cooling and you dont have to pay any extra.
Got the clue for the elastic from another thread, but thanks anyway

They are only for HTPC use, wanted low power and quiet - am using 2.5 sata laptop drives in three HTPC at the mo and am impressed.

May wait till prices really take a dive

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom