1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid-Core 12 gauge CCCopper Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by faroshpere, Mar 5, 2005.

1. faroshpere

faroshpere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced my Harmonic Technologies Pro 9 Plus speaker cable (retail $900.00) with Solid-Core 12 gauge continuous cast copper terminated with WBT gold terminations. I was shocked by the solid core being considerably better and at 1/10th of the cost.

After some extensive research into the science of solid core wire and its ability to eliminate complex conductive and magnetic interaction that occurs between the individual strands of stranded wire, as well the insulation dielectric, I was compelled to give this simple application a try. The HT Pro 9 has a particular sonic signature but the solid core wire did not and this fundamental difference was the most revealing. The solid core 12 gauge wire has a thin coating to prevent oxidization, that’s it. Most hi-end speaker cable including the HT Pro 9 has an average diameter of ½ to ¾ inch round and some MIT cable even greater.
    Insulating material next to a conductor acts like a capacitor which stores and later releases energy. Wire testing reveals that any wire with no insulation except for air is the best wire for moving electrons from point a to point b provided you address oxidation and shorting from bare exposed wire. This can explain why larger speaker wire with thick insulation needs a long time to break in because there is so much dielectric material to absorb and release energy. The effect of this physical science is usually called “smeering” of the electronic signal path. In poorly designed speaker cable this effect can be heard. It took me a few minutes to get used to looking at this very thin inexpensive cable that replaced my very thick expensive cable but after one CD there is no going back.

Has anyone used solid core speaker cable?

Can anyone add any science, engineering, or experience with solid copper cable design?

Is any one familiar with litz braiding?

What if you combined 25awg solid CCCopper wire in a litz braiding design?

Would this be better then using a single strand solid CCCopper in parallel?

Any comments, feedback, discussions, would be greatly appreciated on this subject.

faroshpere

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Do a search on Prof Hawksford or the Essex Echo

3. faroshpere

faroshpere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Because you do not accept email through this forum, I hope you read this reply. I did some digging on your suggestion about looking into Malcolm Omar Hawksford of the University of Essex in the UK. His article on first principles the conclusion that there is an optimum conductor diameter for audio-signal transmission is right on. It clearly validates my assumptions and experiment with solid CCCopper wire. What I find interesting aside from the hypotheses and conclusions or Dr Hawksford, two of the three magazines that originally printed his article no longer make Vol.18 No.10, October 1995 stereophile, Hi Fi News out of print available. What is more disturbing is when I went on the stereoophile website to purchase the back issue, Vol.18 No.10, October 1995 it was not even listed in the sequence. I phoned stereophile and could not get a clear reason why this one volume "the only volume not available" for purchase. A strong argument for those that argue the collusion that exists between Hi End manufactures that advertise and the magazines that review their products. For those of you that are interested in reading this compelling article please follow this link:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/audio_lab/malcolmspubdocs/G3%20HFN%20Essex_Echo_(cables_1985).pdf

faroshpere

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    In the 20 odd years since Hawksford published his paper, it is to my mind still one of the most comprehensive papers on cable transmission. The version published in the magazines was the summary paper but I have not seen the full paper anywhere online. Of course there are numerous other papers but they tended to concentrate on one specific area.

There are those who blindly say cables cannot change anything and those who claim cables are the saviour of mankind but I rarely hear any facts or hypotheses.