Solid Conservatory Roof (‘Guardian’) - Ceiling Lighting - Suggestions Please

Reaction score
I am having one of these installed and am wondering about adding some lighting during the course of construction.

They say:

The Guardian Warm Roof System is one of the biggest revelations to hit the home improvement market in the last ten years. You can now change your old conservatory roof for a new Guardian Roof and effectively turn your old conservatory into a new extension that can be used all year round.

A Guardian conservatory roof comprises:

Metrotile Installed on top of
Breather Felt Membrane fixed to
12mm Plywood fixed to
Aluminium glazing bars which have
40mm Insulation between them and rested on top of
25mm Insulation which is held in place with Timber Battens

Finally, an internal finish of Plasterboard, PVC Panelling or Timber and Clad can be installed. This is where the 'low voltage downlighters' (or similar) are usually installed.

The best technical details for the Guardian type of 'solid roof' which I could find are available in the Installation Guide are here :

http://tynetunneltradeframes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Installation-Guide.pdf

I am wondering as to where the Transformer for such lights is placed? Alternatively, does each lamp have its own transformer? If so, where might these placed for ease of future access in the event of failure?

Are such lights simple to install or do I definitely need an electrician? I am confident and competent and have access to a Live wire supply and an Earth and also a Neutral at the previously installed switch on the side wall used for the old Wall Light. The wall surface at the switch is 'brick' and so conduit will undoubtedly be required to take 240v cable up to the ceiling and the low voltage transformers.

Do you know of any good deals for well-designed low voltage lights and also reliable transformers (if required – at one per light) to go with them?

All suggestions welcomed.

Did you get this roofing system installed? Any opinions on it that you would care to share?

We have the age old problem with our conservatory roof of too many leaks, too hot, too cold, too bright etc.

@Begonia should alert him to your question :thumbsup:

They do say: This is where the 'low voltage downlighters' (or similar) are usually installed.

So get mains downlighters rather than low voltage ones, because they don't need transformers. Use LED bulbs.

It's 230 volts and low voltage lighting runs at 230 volts and doesn't need a transformer.

Personally is stay away from extra low voltage lighting due to the fact you do need a transformer and ELV lights can run hot

Plenty of good "mains" GU10 fittings out there...I'd use those with the Philips Hue GU10 bulbs as a centre piece. You also need to check the loop impedance of the circuit, or use class II fittings - just because you have an "Earth" wire there doesn't mean it's actually viable.

For info despite what a lot of manufacturers and installers state you 100% definitely do need building regs for these roof systems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom