Solicitors what a waste of space

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by hermanmunster, Dec 21, 2006.

1. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I was supposed to move home today but the dweeb who is the solicitor for the buyer at the bottom of our chain has postponed the move. Why? Because the environmental report for the house he is dealing with states ' high risk of flood'. The house has never flooded in 150 years! New flood defences (Burton on Trent) means it won't flood probably for another 200 years. In fact if it did the whole town would need to be under 12 feet of water.
    He has referred the report to the mortgage lender...who sent a local surveyor in the first place....to ask their advice.
    In the meantime the house I'm buying (a new build) will no longer be held for me as we did a special deal for End of year completion. Why can't we complete before end of year? Because even when the mortgage lender says it's OK (which they will) the dweeb is on holiday until 3rd Jan.
    He's cost me £14K as I negotiated a very special deal. :mad:

2. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    who did you use mate ?

i ask this because my sister is a solicitor for a local firm,could have word you never know

3. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I really feel for you mate. But unfortunatley, the solicitor has done what any other solicitor would have done in the same situation and deal with the Environmental Report in the way that he has.

No consolation for you I know and hope that you do get it sorted before the end of the year, even if a miracle is needed.

Martin

4. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Totally understand...our idiot of a solicitor has let us down as well basically because he wanted an extended Xmas break, fortunately it won't cost us, but makes things rather inconvenient in January.

5. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well we used Timms and they are OK, the others below us all used local solicitors. Unfortunately the guy at the start of the chain used a Birmingham firm. I don't know their name....estate agents are gutted as it's likley that all 4 sales will fold now.

6. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    True, but why wait until the last minute to do it? They have had the searches for over 2 weeks and could have had it resolved by now. Just bloody incompetent and he get's away with it scott free because you have no protection under English Law.

7. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113

Ahh, if they had them for 2 weeks and not dealt with them even though there was a deadline, then that's not good. Just as a matter of interest, how do you know they didn't deal with it straight away and it was the mortgage lender or the surveyor who caused the delay?

Anyway, good luck mate.

Martin

8. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Because they bought the searches from a previous buyer who could not complete either....I'm beginning to think the fickle finger of fate is telling me to back off .....now there's a new thread...who believes in Fate??:rolleyes:

9. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    she works for Ormsby,Mills and Woodall, thought it might be a long shot.
    good luck with it mate

10. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Solicitors have to be the least professional "profession" there is. The majority that Jo Public pay for operate in splendid isolation in small firms. These are "managed" by fellow solicitors who clearly have never been trained to manage anything as complex as a business. Training, upskilling and development is ad hoc at best and non existent in many cases. Customer service is not even a consideration and in my experience the client is made to feel like an inconvenience. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised when the standards are being set by a self serving club call the Law Society. I suppose at least they admit they need to change. from their annual report 2005

Trouble is I suspect its more about change for the benefit of Solicitors not you and I, the fee paying client.

Glad to get that of my chest.

11. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sorry to hear that mate. Very frustrating indeed. I am in position where i have just sold my house on a private sale to my friend. It is supposed to be completed tomorrow and funds transferred to me by direct bank transfer. Lucky for me my sister is doing the conveyencing (sp?), and finalised everything in a matter of days. So it can be completed pre xmas.

out of intrest, the generic solicitor i didnt use, quoted £850 for legal work, no advertising sale etc. and said it would take 6 weeks to complete. My sister completed all work in one week, at a cost of £152 no legal fee just the stuff that had to be paid. Quite a difference in terms of cost & timescales.

Hope you get it sorted

blue

12. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,717
    All true !! :lesson:

Having dealt with them for both divorce and conveyancing, I found them the most ineffective bunch of muppets I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. With most other non-legal business services, managing various accounts and good customer service is usually a piece of ****; and you don't take a week to deliver just one letter and charge a few hundred squid. :thumbsdow

In my case .... unreturned phonecalls and unacknowledged emails, and they only end up copying and pasting what you've already emailed them in correspondence to the other solicitors.

They can't even set expectations properly, and have never achieved what they initially 'promised' me - time frames (their own), estimated costs, etc etc.

13. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    And how do you think solicitors afford big cars, large houses and enormous salaries? If they just did the job asked of them, it would be done in minutes and their fees would run to pounds rather than hundreds of pounds, or more. And then they would be like you and me, working hard for a realistic salary. But they are highly trained professionals. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Funny how there's no rhyming slang for solicitors or lawyers, probably because there are no words rude enough to be appropriate.

14. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Voyeurs??:D :rotfl:

15. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Isn't solicitor another name for a whore:D

16. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316

easy!!!! :(

17. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Reminds me of that Simpson's episode, where Lionel Hutz asks Marge to imagine a world without lawyers! :D

Scum of the earth profession for people without morals (mostly).

18. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry to hear that and I realise that this must be extreamly frustrating for you.
    However, if the person at the bottom of the chain bought the house and it is classed as being in a high risk area for flooding then they may not be able to get any house insurance. This would make the property extreamly difficult to sell on. If the solicitor has sat on this report and not done anything untill now then they are indeed useless. But otherwise they are dealing in the best interests of their client which is what they are paid to do.
    It might even be the mortgage lender decides to pull out if they think that the property is too risky.
    The problem is that these flooding reports are based on house post codes and not on individual property assessments.

Oh and I'd put estate agents well below solicitors in the useless charts.

-Neil

19. Bizman

Bizman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I rate solicitors along with accountants and bankers. Never heard of rhyming slang for solicitors, but I do know the collective noun for a group of bankers is a wunch (as in a 'wunch of bankers' :D )

20. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,930
    Enough is enough people...

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    Exactly why I'm reading Law everybody :D

Merry xmas people :)

22. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    Blimey Ashworthacca, that's me and you goosed - and I have a Law Degree, and Law society exams as well, so I am doubly goosed :suicide:

In all seriousness though I hope the op get's this sorted - the mortgage lender in the initial purchase will lend based on the valuation report, which they will have had weeks ago. The obstructive solicitor is covering his own back in a quite anal fashion, when really a simple phone call to the original valuer would have sufficed.

Best of luck :smashin:

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Wow and you almost seem human!

I suppose that is why you post so much during the day, you are out feeding at night. :D :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

24. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Oh well, we can't be loved by everyone, but woody your a top man mate, don't listen to em.:D

Martin

25. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Update

Yesterday afternoon as predicted the valuer and lender both confirmed there was no issue with the environmental report. Hooray
    However our lawyer friend at the bottom of the chain had stopped the funds for his client and so no move.
    He really has been a total :oops: , so we now have 1 unhappy builder, 4 unhappy families and 2 unhappy estate agents. Not to mention the costs.
    He is now on holiday probably thinking what a great guy he is.

We are still trying to salvage the deal but so far no positive outlook.

Where's my baseball bat :devil:

26. Ultima

Ultima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Is there not another solicitor in the practice who can deal with it while the original one is on holiday??

Anyway, really hope you do get this sorted mate.

Martin

27. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's unfortunate that people like this give the profession a bad name.

Should have just dealt with the matter sooner or told you about the problem/potential problem in advance.

However if the solicitor expidited the transaction and chose to ignore the report he would be in breach of the professional rules against conflict of interest (becuase he is acting for both you and the lender) and would technically have to consider ceasing to act in that case.

Not all solicitors are like this. For example legal aid solicitors are on the whole a comitted and grossly underpaid bunch.

Take for example the criminal defence solicitor v teacher.

Solicitor 3 years uni, demanding course, uni fees + 1 year Legal practice course fees C £9,000 + Massive competition for two year traineeships paying £15k p.a. then qualify onto around £22-23k after two years.

Life spent at very antisocial hours in police stations with difficult people for the same as or less than teachers, with no nice pension or elongated holidays.

Teacher. Government funded training with, in some cases funding and 'golden hello's'. Loads of holidays, nice pension, regulated work environment. No need to opt out of the working time directive!

There are self serving idiots in any profession but solicitors are not all like that!:)

28. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,717
    Good point :smashin:

Most of us are venting our anger at the usual suspects
    - which is possibly all solicitors apart from legal aid criminal defence solicitors

Though I find some legal aid solicitors absolute scum too - in the case of a civil action where the opposing solicitors representing someone on legal aid knew their client was was lying but pushed and pushed for a ridiculous settlement, effectively blackmailing me, until I submitted written, time-stamped, email evidence, receipts etc to disprove all their fictitious allegations; their client left empty handed at great expense to the taxpayer and they effectively got away with attempted blackmail/fraud :thumbsdow