• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Solicitors what a waste of space

hermanmunster

I was supposed to move home today but the dweeb who is the solicitor for the buyer at the bottom of our chain has postponed the move. Why? Because the environmental report for the house he is dealing with states ' high risk of flood'. The house has never flooded in 150 years! New flood defences (Burton on Trent) means it won't flood probably for another 200 years. In fact if it did the whole town would need to be under 12 feet of water.
He has referred the report to the mortgage lender...who sent a local surveyor in the first place....to ask their advice.
In the meantime the house I'm buying (a new build) will no longer be held for me as we did a special deal for End of year completion. Why can't we complete before end of year? Because even when the mortgage lender says it's OK (which they will) the dweeb is on holiday until 3rd Jan.
He's cost me £14K as I negotiated a very special deal. :mad:

signs

Banned
I was supposed to move home today but the dweeb who is the solicitor for the buyer at the bottom of our chain has postponed the move. Why? Because the environmental report for the house he is dealing with states ' high risk of flood'. The house has never flooded in 150 years! New flood defences (Burton on Trent) means it won't flood probably for another 200 years. In fact if it did the whole town would need to be under 12 feet of water.
He has referred the report to the mortgage lender...who sent a local surveyor in the first place....to ask their advice.
In the meantime the house I'm buying (a new build) will no longer be held for me as we did a special deal for End of year completion. Why can't we complete before end of year? Because even when the mortgage lender says it's OK (which they will) the dweeb is on holiday until 3rd Jan.
He's cost me £14K as I negotiated a very special deal. :mad:

who did you use mate ?

i ask this because my sister is a solicitor for a local firm,could have word you never know

Ultima

Distinguished Member
I really feel for you mate. But unfortunatley, the solicitor has done what any other solicitor would have done in the same situation and deal with the Environmental Report in the way that he has.

No consolation for you I know and hope that you do get it sorted before the end of the year, even if a miracle is needed.

Martin

shezzy2k

Totally understand...our idiot of a solicitor has let us down as well basically because he wanted an extended Xmas break, fortunately it won't cost us, but makes things rather inconvenient in January.

hermanmunster

who did you use mate ?

i ask this because my sister is a solicitor for a local firm,could have word you never know

Well we used Timms and they are OK, the others below us all used local solicitors. Unfortunately the guy at the start of the chain used a Birmingham firm. I don't know their name....estate agents are gutted as it's likley that all 4 sales will fold now.

hermanmunster

I really feel for you mate. But unfortunatley, the solicitor has done what any other solicitor would have done in the same situation and deal with the Environmental Report in the way that he has.

No consolation for you I know and hope that you do get it sorted before the end of the year, even if a miracle is needed.

Martin

True, but why wait until the last minute to do it? They have had the searches for over 2 weeks and could have had it resolved by now. Just bloody incompetent and he get's away with it scott free because you have no protection under English Law.

Ultima

Distinguished Member
True, but why wait until the last minute to do it? They have had the searches for over 2 weeks and could have had it resolved by now. Just bloody incompetent and he get's away with it scott free because you have no protection under English Law.

Ahh, if they had them for 2 weeks and not dealt with them even though there was a deadline, then that's not good. Just as a matter of interest, how do you know they didn't deal with it straight away and it was the mortgage lender or the surveyor who caused the delay?

Anyway, good luck mate.

Martin

hermanmunster

Ahh, if they had them for 2 weeks and not dealt with them even though there was a deadline, then that's not good. Just as a matter of interest, how do you know they didn't deal with it straight away and it was the mortgage lender or the surveyor who caused the delay?

Anyway, good luck mate.

Martin

Because they bought the searches from a previous buyer who could not complete either....I'm beginning to think the fickle finger of fate is telling me to back off .....now there's a new thread...who believes in Fate??:rolleyes:

signs

Banned
Well we used Timms and they are OK, the others below us all used local solicitors. Unfortunately the guy at the start of the chain used a Birmingham firm. I don't know their name....estate agents are gutted as it's likley that all 4 sales will fold now.

she works for Ormsby,Mills and Woodall, thought it might be a long shot.
good luck with it mate

sapperjohn

Solicitors have to be the least professional "profession" there is. The majority that Jo Public pay for operate in splendid isolation in small firms. These are "managed" by fellow solicitors who clearly have never been trained to manage anything as complex as a business. Training, upskilling and development is ad hoc at best and non existent in many cases. Customer service is not even a consideration and in my experience the client is made to feel like an inconvenience. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised when the standards are being set by a self serving club call the Law Society. I suppose at least they admit they need to change. from their annual report 2005

But the Law Society of the future has to be a different organisation from the one that exists now.
We have already taken steps down the road to transforming the Law Society based on whatsolicitors told us in independent research. Understanding what the profession wants from the Law Society of the future is vital in developing a body that represents different sectors of the profession and responds to their varied needs. This was confirmed by the outcome of a
survey conducted by NOP towards the end of 2005.

Trouble is I suspect its more about change for the benefit of Solicitors not you and I, the fee paying client.

Glad to get that of my chest.

bluevortex

Sorry to hear that mate. Very frustrating indeed. I am in position where i have just sold my house on a private sale to my friend. It is supposed to be completed tomorrow and funds transferred to me by direct bank transfer. Lucky for me my sister is doing the conveyencing (sp?), and finalised everything in a matter of days. So it can be completed pre xmas.

out of intrest, the generic solicitor i didnt use, quoted £850 for legal work, no advertising sale etc. and said it would take 6 weeks to complete. My sister completed all work in one week, at a cost of £152 no legal fee just the stuff that had to be paid. Quite a difference in terms of cost & timescales.

Hope you get it sorted

blue

krish

Distinguished Member
Solicitors have to be the least professional "profession" there is... Customer service is not even a consideration and in my experience the client is made to feel like an inconvenience...
All true !! :lesson:

Having dealt with them for both divorce and conveyancing, I found them the most ineffective bunch of muppets I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. With most other non-legal business services, managing various accounts and good customer service is usually a piece of ****; and you don't take a week to deliver just one letter and charge a few hundred squid. :thumbsdow

In my case .... unreturned phonecalls and unacknowledged emails, and they only end up copying and pasting what you've already emailed them in correspondence to the other solicitors.

They can't even set expectations properly, and have never achieved what they initially 'promised' me - time frames (their own), estimated costs, etc etc.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
And how do you think solicitors afford big cars, large houses and enormous salaries? If they just did the job asked of them, it would be done in minutes and their fees would run to pounds rather than hundreds of pounds, or more. And then they would be like you and me, working hard for a realistic salary. But they are highly trained professionals. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Funny how there's no rhyming slang for solicitors or lawyers, probably because there are no words rude enough to be appropriate.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reminds me of that Simpson's episode, where Lionel Hutz asks Marge to imagine a world without lawyers! :D

Scum of the earth profession for people without morals (mostly).

neilneil

Sorry to hear that and I realise that this must be extreamly frustrating for you.
However, if the person at the bottom of the chain bought the house and it is classed as being in a high risk area for flooding then they may not be able to get any house insurance. This would make the property extreamly difficult to sell on. If the solicitor has sat on this report and not done anything untill now then they are indeed useless. But otherwise they are dealing in the best interests of their client which is what they are paid to do.
It might even be the mortgage lender decides to pull out if they think that the property is too risky.
The problem is that these flooding reports are based on house post codes and not on individual property assessments.

Oh and I'd put estate agents well below solicitors in the useless charts.

-Neil

Bizman

I rate solicitors along with accountants and bankers. Never heard of rhyming slang for solicitors, but I do know the collective noun for a group of bankers is a wunch (as in a 'wunch of bankers' :D )

Steven

Senior Moderator
Exactly why I'm reading Law everybody :D

Merry xmas people :)

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I rate solicitors along with accountants and bankers. Never heard of rhyming slang for solicitors, but I do know the collective noun for a group of bankers is a wunch (as in a 'wunch of bankers' :D )

Blimey Ashworthacca, that's me and you goosed - and I have a Law Degree, and Law society exams as well, so I am doubly goosed :suicide:

In all seriousness though I hope the op get's this sorted - the mortgage lender in the initial purchase will lend based on the valuation report, which they will have had weeks ago. The obstructive solicitor is covering his own back in a quite anal fashion, when really a simple phone call to the original valuer would have sufficed.

Best of luck :smashin:

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Blimey Ashworthacca, that's me and you goosed - and I have a Law Degree, and Law society exams as well, so I am doubly goosed :suicide:

Wow and you almost seem human!

I suppose that is why you post so much during the day, you are out feeding at night. :D :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

hermanmunster

Update

Yesterday afternoon as predicted the valuer and lender both confirmed there was no issue with the environmental report. Hooray
However our lawyer friend at the bottom of the chain had stopped the funds for his client and so no move.
He really has been a total :oops: , so we now have 1 unhappy builder, 4 unhappy families and 2 unhappy estate agents. Not to mention the costs.
He is now on holiday probably thinking what a great guy he is.

We are still trying to salvage the deal but so far no positive outlook.

Where's my baseball bat :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom