Sold items on ebay - have to send them a few days later

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I was hoping to make some quick money before the 4th of March, but it's been a while since I sold stuff and I forgot what a pain Ebay and Paypal are, in that you have to wait for the auctions to end, send the invoices, wait for them to send money and then when they do, initiate the withdrawal to your bank account - but Ebay demands that the items be sent within two days.

Guess I forgot to change that last part, eh?

So is it a major thing if these buyers have to wait for their goods?

A thought occurs: I have a printer (although ink is low) so I could use the Paypal funds to pay for postage online and then it's just a case of getting the envelopes - right?

1) Buyers may get funny, especially if your listing states that the item will be sent out quicker. However, you have the money in your PayPal account so why do you have to wait to have it withdrawn into your bank account? Either way, these days the withdrawal into your bank account is instant. You request it from you PayPal account and at most it takes 2 hours to hit your bank account.

You don't always have to send invoices, most buyers I encounter send the money straight away. Although I only sell buy it now items. I guess with auctions you may have to wait a short while for the buyer to get onto eBay after the auction has ended.

2) For the postage, you are correct. You can purchase the postage through eBay or PayPal, print off the labels, attach to packed item and hand it in at the post office.

1) Buyers may get funny, especially if your listing states that the item will be sent out quicker. However, you have the money in your PayPal account so why do you have to wait to have it withdrawn into your bank account? Either way, these days the withdrawal into your bank account is instant. You request it from you PayPal account and at most it takes 2 hours to hit your bank account.

You don't always have to send invoices, most buyers I encounter send the money straight away. Although I only sell buy it now items. I guess with auctions you may have to wait a short while for the buyer to get onto eBay after the auction has ended.

2) For the postage, you are correct. You can purchase the postage through eBay or PayPal, print off the labels, attach to packed item and hand it in at the post office.

Let me elaborate:

1. I need to be able to pay for packaging, like envelopes? Unless I can just use stuff lying around the house? I have an old cardboard box I may be able to use, but it's rather thick. I do however have a roll of black bin liners, and I don't see why I can't wrap the items (Blu-rays in this case) in said liners, considering I've received stuff this way.

2. In the very recent past, it took at least three days for PP withdrawals. I'm with Barclays, BTW.

3. True, some send the money right away. And I listed the items on Ebay as both BIN and auction, for some reason I can't have BIN by itself.

4. I still have to go to the post office? Oh, for the stamp I imagine.

I received criticism for using 'used' packaging. It was just recyling a jiffy bag for goodness sake!

it sure can be a pain, so I don't bother with little items any more and ask for cash on collection for larger items. Much better!

I though most PayPal withdrawals to your account are now instant?

Let me elaborate:

1. I need to be able to pay for packaging, like envelopes? Unless I can just use stuff lying around the house? I have an old cardboard box I may be able to use, but it's rather thick. I do however have a roll of black bin liners, and I don't see why I can't wrap the items (Blu-rays in this case) in said liners, considering I've received stuff this way.

2. In the very recent past, it took at least three days for PP withdrawals. I'm with Barclays, BTW.

3. True, some send the money right away. And I listed the items on Ebay as both BIN and auction, for some reason I can't have BIN by itself.

4. I still have to go to the post office? Oh, for the stamp I imagine.

1. and 4. The online payment for postage through PayPal is for the stamp/label. You print it off, stick/sellotape it on to your envelope and job done. Just hand it over at the post office. Personally I wouldn't send a DVD wrapped in bin liners! Pop down to the local supermarket and grab some padded envelopes or even the post office who might be selling some.

2. I did a PayPal withdrawal last night and it was there instantly. The page for withdrawals also states 2 hours. I'm with HSBC but I would have thought that Barclays has the faster payments system.

3. You can definitely have BIN by itself, maybe one of your settings is stopping you having that. It's usually somewhere on the listings page.

I though most PayPal withdrawals to your account are now instant?

Yep, that is indeed the case now.

I think the problem is he wants to pay for the postage and packaging only out of the proceeds of the sale and nothing else.

I think the problem is he wants to pay for the postage and packaging only out of the proceeds of the sale and nothing else.

Yes, that is it.

As of now, two items have sold and I'm waiting on payment for one of them, and two more items will end tonight and I will initiate PP withdrawal then, assuming I receive money for them then. If not, then by tomorrow. But I anticipate I will have to send them off from PO Saturday morning.

Right, I've received payment for the first two items now - initiating PP withdrawal.

EDIT: Seems you were all correct, PP says that it'll take just a couple of hours for the funds to appear in my account. Seems that things have gotten better with PP in the last few years! :clap:

Last edited:
I normally stack em, pack em & rack em before the auction (or buy it now) has been listed. That way it's just a simple trip to the post office.
I always recycle packaging if I can, I'm not a business ;)

I received criticism for using 'used' packaging. It was just recyling a jiffy bag for goodness sake!

There is no shame in reusing old packaging just as long as I get the item undamaged I could not give a hoot what it turns up in

Best I had was a car keyfob turn up in a aunt Bessie stuffing box.

Recycling packaging is good for the environment :) However I can understand criticism if p&p costs is for more than just the postage...I'd also not be impressed if my bluerays arrive in bin-liners, however it is the sellers risk, if they are damaged, they'll go back...

All very valid reasons for being disgruntled, but they didn't apply in this case. The guy just wanted to pick fault! You're not buying from Amazon!

It annoyed me at the time, but I'm over it now doctor.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom