Sold a photo! How much though?!?

Darthchaffinch

A friend wants to buy one of my photos he saw on FB, and we're in the middle of our whole work site shutting down so am going to give him the high res jpg (he's 110% trustworthy)- how much should I charge?!? £15?

It's this:

Hi, if its a friend and he is only going to use it for personal use, Then the charge you have is fine. I would give it for free, but thats the way i am.

nice pic.

Baz

shotokan101

Banned
As I've never sold any shots I'd have to ask for 1p from a good friend just so I could say I'd sold something :rolleyes: - of course it would be for their personal use only and a single copy :)

Well done - you're friend has good taste - still a great shot :cool:

JIm

Darthchaffinch

Thanks, he's probably more of a colleague than a friend, and significantly more senior in position! Couple that with I'm losing my job at end of month and will have baby no.2 the following week he wouldn't accept it for free.

Ta for kind comments. :)

Last edited:

RobDickinson

Ask him if he wants you to make a framed print of it etc. I'd rather do that than send him the file and have him do it himself.

Dr O

Friend=free
charge=no friend:lesson:

Do you not do mate's rates? Business is business

Wife= free- I'd only be paying myself anyway:laugh:
Wife's friends= Double for the hassle
My friends= Mate's rates
Unknown= Normal rates

...and, just dawned on me with your style- why have you changed your ID- have I missed something?:confused:

Dr O

RobDickinson

I currently charge $100(nz) per image use + printing and framing.

Usually works out to about $500ish for an A1 framed print!

Framing is a killer, so canvas printing can be a cheaper option.

ncmoody

I think it depends on who you are supplying, friend or business collegue?
Also what you are supplying !

e.g.
A4 to friend = free, to collegue = ask them to put a pound in the charity box.
A3 mounted and framed to friend = cost price, to collegue 2 x cost price.

tcr4x4

I charged my brother in Law £20 for a 40x30 print. Cost me £14.99 to print so I made a fiver.

Whats he going to do with it? Surely better to charge him a bit and get it printed nicely than charge him £15 for it to sit on his hard drive.

Darthchaffinch

I think it depends on who you are supplying, friend or business collegue?
Also what you are supplying !

I'd say 95% colleague, 5% friend... I gave him the jpg.

I charged my brother in Law £20 for a 40x30 print. Cost me £14.99 to print so I made a fiver.

Whats he going to do with it? Surely better to charge him a bit and get it printed nicely than charge him £15 for it to sit on his hard drive.

He's sent it for large print, today was our last day at work so won't be seeing each other ever again.

gibbsy

Framing is a killer, so canvas printing can be a cheaper option.

I hate canvas printing. Nothing nicer than a well presented image, double mounted in a quality frame. Good framing can enhance an image no end.

I may be a bit biased as my wife was a frame maker and pro photographer for many years. Always sold her images framed. Only canvas we have was a photo comp winner that I took. We also have that one framed which is always the one that gets the compliments.

sleekyG

Not bad for a price I think. But if it's me, I'll give it away for free but he/she should only use it for personal use. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom