Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Solaris!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by rik, Jul 23, 2003.

1. rik

rik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quickie, but has anbody else seen Solaris with Clooney in it??

I rented it last night as there was naff all else. Although I freely admit to being a bit tired when I watched it, did anyone else find it the most pointless, boring non-event of a film of all time?

As I say I might have missed the plot, but the whole film seemed as if no-one could be arsed, the plot twists were just nothing new and felt half-finished. There were no interesting parts of the film and I just could'nt find a story. Wildlife programmes have more structure. Don't get me wrong, I like films where you have to put a bit of work in, like Donnie and Memento, I'm just finding it difficult to describe the empty, dazed feeling it left me with (speechless??)

Especially in a film from Cameron, I want to believe that I just did'nt get it, could someone please explain their thoughts on it!?

Rik

2. boyler

boyler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought this on DVD and will be watching tonight. Will give you my thoughts tomorrow.

3. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Watch it with the Jim Cameron/Soderbergh commentary, you may look at the film differently. It wasn't supposed to be what you expected !

4. dtsfan

dtsfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rather enjoyed it.Intelligent sci-fi

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very enjoyable and moving story about love and bereavement.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Another foreign classic with a mega-budget, but pre-masticated for the US audiences. Load of Hollywood pants compared to the original version (although that did go on a bit too - SF author Theodore Sturgeon covered the same philosophical ground much more succinctly in 50 minutes, in his "Shore Leave" script for "Star Trek").

7. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pauley, I've not seen the Russian version yet. In what way is it superior to this "pants" version?

8. FWA.jr

FWA.jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant film. Intelligent : Compelling. Not boring.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Seen it at the cinema with a friend. I found it extremely boring, she was nearly crying at the end and needed a few minutes to recover.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I quite liked it. I thought the music was really well suited to the film. Nothing really surprising but then I'm quite familiar with the Tarkovsky version and the writings of Stanislaw Lem.

I must say that I#ve really tried toget along with the original Tarkovsky version but the prospect of watching it again gives me indigestion! I'm just not a fan its so utterly plodding. The Soderberg version is like The Matrix in comparrison!

11. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the cinema to see this film with a few friends and we all were of the same oppinion, which was we were bored to tears. The whole experience was like watching paint dry.
    It was no surprise when people started to walk out with disapointment written all over thier faces.
    I stayed to the end ever hopefull that things would improve, however this was wishfull thinking.
    The film in it's defence is visually very nice at times and reminded me of 2001, but that's where the comparison ends.
    If your looking for Star Wars stay away from this one!

popeye

12. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    worst film i have seen this year so far.
    self indulgent drivel

13. rik

rik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew, sounds like I have'nt missed the plot. (or maybe I did, along with several others!)

I might give it another go using the commentary, but it'll probably be a while.

I know most peoples expectations of a sci-fi film are that it will be pulsing and exicting, but I honestly wasn't expecting anything, so I was'nt just dissapointed at any absence of action - just absence of story. It've seen more interesting sub-plots in almost any other film I've ever than this manages in a whole one.

CHeers for your replies

Rik

14. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought the "new" Solaris was a masterpiece.
    As for the russian original...well that goes ona tad too long and is a tad too slow for my liking.

15. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Perhaps "pants" was a bit too strong...

Don't get me wrong, taken on it's own merits Soderberg's version of Solaris is superior to most of the pitiful excuses for SF that hit the multiplexes with monotonous regularity. It is mature, intelligent SF, and infinitely preferable to "Star Wars Reloaded", or whatever is currently making the fanboys wet themselves. Like Rosemanbridge said ""Star Wars it ain't..." - thank Gawd...

It's just that having seen the original it isn't so much a disaster, more of a disappointment, or even a fruitless exercise. A bit like remaking 2001 or Citizen Kane and leaving out everything that made them great so as to focus and expand on what could be perceived as their most commercial/cosy points - in the case of Solaris the love story.

If you like intelligent, thought provoking, genuine SF as opposed to an arcade game or MTV video pretending to be a movie, you will probably enjoy this. I'll probably enjoy it much more on a second viewing now I know what to expect. Yes it is "pants" compared to the original, but only in the sense that, for example, while The Magnificent Seven is a thoroughly enjoyable movie in itself, it doesn't hold a light to The Seven Samurai.

Solaris is a better movie than most of what is currently busting blocks out there today. A bit like having an obese auntie - it's all relative. :D

17. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well put. I rented it and had time on my hands so I watched it, thought "what was that all about?", watched it again with the commentary that I'd heard so much about and then screened it a 3rd time in 24hours and thought it was terrific, fat aunties and all !!:laugh:

18. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I was really looking forward to this film (Soderbergh and Cloony fan).
    However,I have to agree with Rik who started the thread.I too found it slow,boring,pointless and with no storyline as such.
    I found it hard to stomach Natascha McElhones' monotonous drone which seemed to get worse through the movie.
    All in all,a major dissapointment.

19. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think that was intentional. The most prominent memory Kalvin had of her personality was misery, and it got worse the more he realised it.

I think this film will appeal to people who like to watch films that take you on a journey, but one that doesn't give a conclusion at the end. Instead it is left to the viewer to make up their own mind of what really happend.

20. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i like films that take you on a journey,that dont give a conclusion at the end, but i still think this was absolute drivel:D

21. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I blame people dissapointment with this film on the trailers which pitched it as a thriller

this film is far more 2001 than star wars

found it intelligent and claustraphobic.

and it is also one of those films athat bout two months later you realised you really liked it.

by the way anyone notice that on PLAY the film running time is listed as 3 minutes longer for the US version. is that the old PAL runing faster than NTSC thing agaain?
    US = 139 mins
    UK = 136 mins

22. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I actually can't believe the trailer is for the same film! Shocking misrepresentation of a movie guaranteed to spread bad word of mouth.

Personally I really enjoyed the movie when I watched it a few weeks ago (R1). Had I seen a trailer beforehand I'm not sure what I would have thought, as I would have watched it when in the mood for an action/thriller, not the romance/sci-fi that I found really interesting.