• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Solar water heater question

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
Quick question, my new place has a solar water heater, does this mean that I should be able to turn the boiler off until later in the year?
I should maybe have done it a couple of months ago but only just thought of it!

IronGiant

Possibly, depending on how good it is. Why not try it?

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
Possibly, depending on how good it is. Why not try it?
Tempted just don't want the boss moaning that there is no hot water when she goes to have a bath after work.
Right turning it off, let's just hope it turns on again later this year

outoftheknow

By boiler do you mean with storage tank? Solar water normally uses a well insulated storage tank and you have electric or gas as a booster if needed. You don't necessarily turn off the booster heater at all.

Were you left any instructions for the systems? Otherwise google the makes and see if you can find who installed the solar water heater.

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
By boiler do you mean with storage tank? Solar water normally uses a well insulated storage tank and you have electric or gas as a booster if needed. You don't necessarily turn off the booster heater at all.

Were you left any instructions for the systems? Otherwise google the makes and see if you can find who installed the solar water heater.
No instructions unfortunately but I do know that the previous occupants didn't have the boiler on at all really. But have now switched it off so hopefully will be all good.

IronGiant

So long as it's set up properly you shouldn't need to turn the boiler off, it should sense the water is already hot and not fire up. But we don't know how it's set up, so turning it off will at least let you know whether the solar side of it is working efficiently.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom