Quantcast

Solar Panel advice for charging small devices such as phone and tablet cameras & my laptop

tvdavid

Hi I have just bought this one

100W 12V, Ultra-Thin Solar Panel, with 20A charge controller and cables

just wondering would this charge the tiny usb devices up with out a battery or if need would would one from a car go?
Also I would like to power my 17 inch laptop
I understand the laptop will not use as much as 100 watts if say in idle mode.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7370/16192201538_a1ba5bc5d8_o.jpg

I understand I need an inverter to do this connected to the battery?
If so can any one recommend some plus battery for say up to £50 I do not mind getting used as well.
also how many hours would the laptop run for?
this is also my view I have

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1546/25372591020_dbf7db7909_o.jpg

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The most common USB charging standards provide between 2.5W ([email protected]) and about 10W ([email protected]). There is a newer USB Power Delivery standard that ups the voltage and current to a maximum of [email protected] or 100W but few things use the higher power levels so far.

Laptop power draw varies and the picture is too fuzzy to read the graphics card sticker which will be the big determining factor. Check the power supply brick for it though, that should have an output wattage. Most laptops should comfortably run off 100W though, only high end gaming and workstation laptops tend to require more.

In terms of actual power draw it'll be 10-30W running normally. How long that'll last depends on the battery capacity. A leisure (caravan) battery runs to about 1000-1500Watt-hours, so even being conservative (1000Wh / 30W) you'd get 33 hours straight use out of it.

Both are DC device types so you shouldn't need an inverter for either. Given the power losses converting from AC to DC and back again it would be best to avoid one, although it does make plug compatibility easy.

I see the controller has a USB and 12v/24v output. If the USB is for power output rather than controlling the controller then with a generic USB source like that I wouldn't assume anything more than the standard 2.5W output. That'll charge everything but fairly slowly. Slow is good in terms of device battery life, but it obviously takes longer.

The 12V/24V output may be able to plug into your laptop directly - check the charger to see what input voltage the laptop expects (it'll be marked as output voltage on the charger obviously) or the manual. If it won't you'll need a DC-DC voltage converter.

tvdavid

Thanks my laptop has the 640m 2gb but will not be gaming on here maybe it will be used to watch a blu ray though.
I just bought in case the power goes out they are people next door so do not think they would want to listen to a generator running but at least I be able to use stuff still like a radio a 27 inch display which is around 34 watts maybe a youview box though if power goes down for more than a few days the tv will probably be out.
but it will be handy to also use if not near a power socket.

tvdavid

it might if its very windy.
or have thunder storms.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Could use it to charge up some power banks, free battery recharge ftw :D

andyk

it might if its very windy.
or have thunder storms.
Surely if the power is down for a few days you should be worried about your fridge, heating etc rather than your laptop. You will need a much more substantial solution to those problems.

tvdavid

tvdavid

I found this one on my local gumtree page which was £25
20160312_170446
so in fact have the battery before the panel.
Now just to get an inverter.
Now boring read how to keep it stored right because is but seems very important.

Last edited: