1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar or car-powered charging?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by rich, Feb 18, 2002.

1. rich

rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I go motor-racing for up to 5 days at a time and am planning to take a camcorder for the first time in a few weeks.

Does anyone know where I can buy either a solar-powered universal charger for Lithium-ION batteries, or can I buy an in-car charger? And can anyone give me any information regarding using either option? (i.e Charge times? Will my car battery be drained quickly if the car is stationary in a campsite? Any other info?

Thanks

Rich

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The most practical way would be to use an inverter. You would then have a 240 volt socket in the car which could be used to power/ charge most things (camcorder/ mobile phone/ PDA/ laptop etc).

They aren't expensive and for charging a small item such as a camcorder battery it shouldn't drain the battery much.

3. rich

rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks networkguy for the reply.

Do you know where I can buy an inverter to go straight into the car? I suppose it would connect directly to the battery with crocodile clips? (or to the lighter socket?).

If the batteries usually take about 2hrs to charge I expect it will be similar in the car. I'm still a bit concerned about battery drainage though?

Rich

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Just do a search on your fav search engine for Inverter or failing that, a caravan shop or maplins all do this kind of this.

The ones I have seen, all plug into the cigar lighter socket although all they need is a 12v feed so I assume you could just cut that off if you want to connect it directly.

As far as drain goes, I once left mine plugged in charging a Laptop overnight once (didn't mean to, just forgot to take it out of the car) and the car battery was okay to start the car again the following morning.

5. rich

rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just visited Maplins website and found they do them starting at about £50. It's exactly what I need - I can't beleive I'd never heard of an inverter before. Mains power from a 12v battery..? - I suppose it seemed too good to be true!

Thanks again for your help.

Rich

:D

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I think they should be standard on all cars.

After all, most makers include a couple of cigar lighter sockets these days as they know you will want to charge your phone/ run a fan/ power your GPS etc.

It would make sense to fit these as standard as most owner would use them.