Sol Cambell....whatta guy

Puts a bad taste in the mouth seeing this. Made me laugh the other week when Keegan was worried he might not be appreciated anymore by the Newcastle fans when he tried to take the club for £18M :rolleyes:

Keegan did the same to Newcastle last year ,its really a shame that football is all about money these days,no one is loyal to the game anymore.Shame on him its not really the right time doing this even if they owe him money:thumbsdow

It's strange timing also because he's just signed on again to play for Arsenal so will have regular money coming in again. How on earth he expects to get paid £1.7M at the current point in time and makes me wonder how he'd feel if he helped put the club into administration. Tony Adam's at pompey offered him a lifeline football wise imo when he lost the plot and left Arsenal.

Puts a bad taste in the mouth seeing this

Shame on him its not really the right time doing this even if they owe him money:thumbsdow
Erm, if Portsmouth contractually agreed to these image rights/payments or whatever, then they should honour them. The fact the board have been incapable to operate the business properly thus find themselves in such a mess is nothing to do with him i.e. beyond his control. It's not up to him to get that side of the bargain right.

Is it morally unfair, given the timing? Probably yes. But football lost it's morals long before Sol Campbell signed for Portsmouth.

Its not as if he is short of a few bob i dont see why he cant go to pompey and say listen you owe me this much yes or no when you sort yourself out i want a written contract saying you will pay me by a set date if not ill then take you to court

Looks like he's getting in early with his claim so he's top of the queue. Given their dire financial position maybe it would make sense for Portsmouth to sell the ground to a developer and ground share with the friends down the road Southampton :rolleyes:

Its not as if he is short of a few bob i dont see why he cant go to pompey and say listen you owe me this much yes or no when you sort yourself out i want a written contract saying you will pay me by a set date if not ill then take you to court

And if Portsmouth go into liquidation? He won't get his money by waiting. I don't blame him for getting in there now. If this was in his contract he is intitled to it. Morally right or wrong.

Looks like he's getting in early with his claim so he's top of the queue. Given their dire financial position maybe it would make sense for Portsmouth to sell the ground to a developer and ground share with the friends down the road Southampton :rolleyes:

You made me spit my beer over my lappy :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Given their dire financial position maybe it would make sense for Portsmouth to sell the ground.

Apparently they don't own it - their previous chairman still does... I think Pompey will not exist as a football club by the end of February.

Can't see how anyone can have a go at him.

I doubt many people here would just let £1.7m go...I don't care how much money he has in the bank, if he's owed it he's entitled to go after it or not if he so choses either way it's his decision.

He signed a contract the club should honour that, despite the amount of money he has. That said however his timing is appalling.

Okay the fella is owed the money, but there's a way of doing things with a bit of class but as usual Sol lacks this particular attribute as has been shown from past events. Poor bugger.

Keegan did the same to Newcastle last year ,its really a shame that football is all about money these days,no one is loyal to the game anymore.Shame on him its not really the right time doing this even if they owe him money:thumbsdow

I don't see what Loyalty has to do with it. If Portsmouth didn't pay him his wages that he is entitled how on earth is he acting in a "shameful" manner :confused:

Just because he plays for a football club that has got itself into a dire state doesn't mean he should forgo the money he is allegedly entitled to. 1.7 million is a lot of money, even for footballers

Okay the fella is owed the money, but there's a way of doing things with a bit of class but as usual Sol lacks this particular attribute as has been shown from past events. Poor bugger.

How would you suggest he conducts himself then? For all we know he could have been asking for the money since he left in August and perhaps they agreed to pay it by the new year. We simply don't know, but blimey cut they guy some slack already! I don't see how he can have handled it any differently.

I don't see how he can have handled it any differently.

Delay putting in the request. There's no point going to somebody asking for £1.7M when they've not got it, and let's be honest if anyone's getting paid first it's the inland revenue for starters. Papers love a story like this, I wouldn't personally want to be directly associated with a story like this, makes you look like a bottom hole.

In all seriousness the premier league need to sort something out because for starters it messes up the structure of the league if they do go out of business. What do we do take the points away from the clubs they've played. In a way given they are in all likelihood on the way down surely the premier league could advance them the parachute payments relegated clubs get.

I wouldn't personally want to be directly associated with a story like this, makes you look like a bottom hole.

It's easy to say that until it's you who is £1.7m short of what you expected.

Now yes he may be only one of a long list of creditors and might never see it but the only people to blame are those who have (apparently) mis-managed the club's finances.

Last edited:
It's easy to say that until it's you who is £1.7m short of what you expected.

It's easy because I wouldn't stoop to such a low level. If I was in a position where I could lose my house or business say if I didn't get that £1.7M then yes you have no choice to pursue that amount of money. Most players deep down know smaller clubs got carried away trying to keep up with the Jonese's of the EPL.

It's easy because I wouldn't stoop to such a low level. If I was in a position where I could lose my house or business say if I didn't get that £1.7M then yes you have no choice to pursue that amount of money. Most players deep down know smaller clubs got carried away trying to keep up with the Jonese's of the EPL.

Didn't realise that fulfilling a contract was 'stooping low'. How dare he sign a contract see it out and expect to be paid what is stipulated in that contract.

As for the clubs paying too much, well that's their decision I still defy people when offered a large sum of money to turn it down, most won't.

christ, what a rediculous thread.... :thumbsdow

If your ex-emplyer owed you 1.7mil would you say to yourself

"i'll wait because my poor old boss isnt having a good time of it now"

Anyone who answers yes is lying!!!! :rolleyes:

Simple fact is, he did the work and wants paying for it simple as!! :lesson:

It's easy because I wouldn't stoop to such a low level.
Would you have the same opinion if Portsmouth were doing fine yet Sol refused to turn up to certain corporate events and/or loan his 'image' to XYZ even though it was agreed as part of his contract? Would you expect Portsmouth to pay him regardless?

As I said previously morally it's unfair as they are in the brown stuff but a contract is a contract and I would pursue irrespective of whether I was struggling financially or rolling in money. I know some people will find that abhorrent but both sides of the party had an agreement

I've just noticed the typo too :p It's Campbell :D

Didn't realise that fulfilling a contract was 'stooping low'. How dare he sign a contract see it out and expect to be paid what is stipulated in that contract.

We never see eye to eye so I'll keep this brief. While we are on the subject of contracts maybe he should have stayed a bit longer than one game at Notts County.

Given the disarray at Notts County do you think maybe they didn't keep there end of the bargain too? You appear to be quite quick to judge the players, the individuals, yet must surely consider the Clubs too

We never see eye to eye so I'll keep this brief. While we are on the subject of contracts maybe he should have stayed a bit longer than one game at Notts County.

He left by mutual consent after asking to be released from his contract...they could of said no but didn't. Although whatever he did at Notts County is separate to any monies owed by Portsmouth.

Last edited:
One thing I do feel about this, regardless of money owed you could argue he's probably been paid during his time at Portsmouth more than £1.7M over the odds in wages. Talk he was earning anywhere between £90K - £105K a week while there.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom