1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOK - What is wrong with the adverts? What is your problem?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,970
    Header says it all, you have made comments on every advert post today, What is wrong?

If you have a problem with the mods or members should you not just e-mail them, instead of posting unhelpful posts on these forums.

Cheers
    THX

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    Another message for SOK - if you bother to read the forum guidelines (written under each forum in the BB home page - http://www.wvip.co.uk/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true), you will see that adverts are allowed int he DVD movies forum and no other.
    Simple as that.
    Please don't make an inconvenience of yourself by posting like that in lots of topics. I've had to go through and delete them all, and I've got better things to do.
    SOK loses a housepoint [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 11-03-2001).]

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    What with the vast number of seperate forums that have grown up here ( aparantly there need will become more obvious when a link is made with sister publications ) why not just include a seperate Classifieds Forum.

I imagine it would be more popular than the proper classifieds and make it easy for wants and dont wants to be highlighted.

I know what the rules say,

Discussing DVD movies. Talking about DVD suppliers and prices, discs good and bad, release date and content information and general DVD movie related topics. Links to bargains are welcome, as are private ads for DVDs and DVD trades.

but is the DVD forum the correct place to advertise hardware for sale ? I dont think so, and regardless of what the rules say, would assume anyone wanting to sell hardware ( or buy it ) would use the hardware forum.

I did not reads SOKs posts, but if his ads were genuine private sales then, like I say regardless of rules they should be in the hardware section.

Also, and please dont take offence at this, but why is it that the moderators do not do a better job of moving mis-posted threads to the correct location, similar to that at the DVD FORUMS ?

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    Interesting idea. A new forum for DVD classifieds.
    But there will be no harware classifieds forum because we have the classifieds page for this. We need the revenue. £10 for 3 months is considered good value by those who use it.
    I guess you're right about moving posts to the correct locations. But there are quite a few cross-over issues which wouldn't crop up in the DVD forums. Like if you're asking about progressive scan DVD player and TV compatibility, does that go in the TV, the DVD or the progressive scan forum ?
    Got any specific topics which you think should be moved?

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    With this you have highlighted what 4 me is a MAJOR problem with the bulletin board, TOO many places to post a topic and many of them open to wide interpritation.

There is a need for a DVD type forum, but I feel it should be re-named MOVIE FORUM, and be used for cinema, dvd, video and LD questions/reviews.

I think a serious re-plan on hardware / tech talk is needed as some of these have too few posts, some questions get to few answers as im sure many members do not visit some of the smaller sections.

Televisions should also be for digi boxes and tivo / video.

Video projectors does not fair too bad with the amount of posts but should merge with the prog scan part.

Amps and Speakers should merge, just look at how similar set up questins can be.

DVD players to stay and General Hardware to be more closlely moderated for moving of posts

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    I'm going to wait until the summer before I make any decisions to reorganise the forums.

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But isn't now the time for a 'spring clean'? [​IMG]

8. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    THX - the reason I posted all the replies about the adverts was because I had put in a post asking if anyone was selling cables and Spectre overwrote it saying that adverts were not allowed. So, being the petty git, I went through and highlighted all the adverts that were currently in place on the forum.

And Spectre, in your reply above you state that adverts are allowed in the DVD movies only and no other. But I had highlighted adverts in more than just that forum. I thought it was unfair to overwrite my post when others have been active for a week or more and were still there.

Anyway, even of this. I apologise for making you go and delete them all. I totally agree that £10 for a classified is a fair price, but this would be fine if you were selling a whole system etc. I was only looking for 1 cable so a classified costing £10 would have defeated the purpose - it would be cheaper just to go out and buy a new one.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Summer ?
    Why ?

What is the point of a delay, its obvious that some of the forums are not working, just look at the number of postings ?

also what the hell are you even doing thinking about a mobile phone thread ?

Do something now, please

10. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I belive the reason is it that the grand plan for this forum is to have it encompassing every aspect that the wvip covers.

Not sure how good an idea thats is myself...

11. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ridiculous idea. Links to each one, sure. But they should definitely be kept separate. Total DVD and HCC is OK, but there's mention now of a mobile phone forum joining the ranks!!

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,401
    Because by then a few other sites will be online and I'll have had time to properly assess the situation. Better this than jump the gun now only to have to have a summer rethink because the situation has changed.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    For more of my thoughts on this have a look at the mobile phones thing in the general forum.

14. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there are alot of valid points here, I agree that the "TiVo and other video recorders" forum was not really needed but as it was put to a vote I have not said anything. As I type there have only been 10 topics. "Digital TV, Satellite and Cable" is not doing so well either, I think the problem is people think it's a great idea but don't intend to post anything. I personally have a few DVD's to sell/trade.

Duncan is ON THE BALL with this one and I completely agree with his suggestions, they really make alot of sense! plus it will stop me having to scroll down to get to the general forum! [​IMG]

How about moving the "Home Cinema PCs (HCPC)" with "Progressive Scan and Video Processing" & "Video Projectors"? they seem to overlap?

Also when the poll asking "Would you like to see more hardware forums?" was up I suggested a forum on Video Editing, anyone else interested?

Cheers
    Ace

PS - Duncan something we both agree on!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Speechless! [​IMG]