SOGA and the 3 Year MS Extension

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by nheather, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,010
    Okay, I've just got back from Game still with my dead XBox360, everything going pretty much as expected.

I spoke to the sales assistant first who quoted the 1 year warranty but was then unsure when I told him I had spoken to Trading Standards and brought up the SOGA.

His next response was to telephone HQ and pass the phone across to me.

At first I got the same 1 year warranty stuff and that I would need to deal with MS but when I pressed the SOGA, the customer service person put me on hold whilst she sought guidance.

She was a long time and I thought she was going to say "Just this once as a goodwill guesture" but instead she came back with a twist.

She said that Game were prepaired to stand by their liability and replace or repair my XBox360. :clap:

Then the unexpected bit - Game are prepared to take my XBox360 from me and process the repair through MS on my behalf.:(

I guess had the 3 year extension not been in place I would have walked out with a shiny new XBox360 but now Game and other retailers have another way to fulfil their SOGA responsibilities.

Any comments? - To me it looks like Game are doing all they are obliged to do.

Any benefits in letting Game deal with MS rather than me doing it myself?

Cheers,

Nigel

P.S. Another interesting observation. HQ Customer Service took my Reward Account details. I don't buy a lot from Game - I guess if I did they might have come back with a different answer to make sure they didn't lose a good customer.

2. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    When did you buy your 360 from Game?
    That would give them details of when and where you bought your 360 as everything is logged. That will be why they asked for that.

3. Earlyflash

Earlyflash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Yes, this is better. The SOGA only applies between you and the retailer - if you send off the 360 to MS, then you lose the ability to give Game grief.

Let them do it, it's their right.

However, also remember that the SOGA states that a repair or replacement must be supplied in a "reasonable time frame".

Once it's gone, phone them every week for status updates. Complain vigorously if it takes longer than 28 days.

Get them to state (in writing) before you start, how long it will take - this will make things easier later on if you need it.

Pity that GAME can't take it on the nose and just give you a replacement. You could also try a strongly worded letter complaining and mentioning that other high-street retailers have a better attitude about it, but they are in their rights.

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,010
    Just got back to Game Customer Services and confirmed that dealing with them means that I am entitled to a console in equal or better cosmetic condition and within a reasonable time frame.

You have to send the console to Game HQ in Reading but they do give you a FreePost address.

I guess my concerns are

(i) Not sure of tracking progress. Game don't issue you with a reference number so not sure how you would refer to it when you telephone them.

(ii) The additional time of sending to Game, them processing it and sending it back - could easily add two weeks onto the process.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    My main concern would be keeping track of the console and the repair progress if going through GAME.

6. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Always try and keep things with the retailer and yes they are doing everything they are obliged to, unfortunately this means offering a repair.

7. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    That would be one of my concerns too. Sending something to GAME via a Royal Mail Freepost address... oh dear. You'll never see it again.

Under normal circumstances, I'd endorse people's insistence that GAME should deal with this particular repair. However, it does sound like a very convoluted way of doing things; with a whole host of associated risks.

Going directly to MS - they will pay for collection and return of the console, repairing it FoC. You will get coupon for a month of Xbox Live as compensation. If they take longer than the advertised 20 days, you can press them for further compensation (i.e. a game or accessory).

8. runam0k

runam0k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Agree with the above.

I don't think you're gaining anything going through Game. If anything, it may take a little longer using Game as a middle man.

9. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I'd got straight through M$. They pick it up and drop it off for free and you can track the parcel if needed. Also if it gets lost thats one less person who could be at fault if you go direct.

10. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    If you go direct to ms you lose your contract with the retailer. If something happened to your 360 that isn't covered by the MS warranty after that (i.e not RoD) then you're stuffed.

11. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    But you'd be stuffed anyway if you it's not covered by the warranty? As game will not be liable for anything after 1 year, and after 1 year, the only thing that's covered is the rrod?!

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    The retailer's liability is seperate to the warranty - the retailer is still responsible for everything, even after a year. Have a read through the FAQ.

13. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Read the faq on the SOG mate :)

14. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,010
    @rimmep1

Where did you see this - on the phone they told me 20 to 25 days, but in the email that I have just received it says 25 days.

Cheers,

Nigel

15. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Nigel, apologies - I was using '20' as an example. Repair times had been 20 days up until some point.

So 25 days is what you've been told? 5 weeks - ouch! :thumbsdow

Anecdotally, folks seem to have been getting units back sooner, so it may just be MS attempting to set expectations.

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I'm going to close this thread as it seems to be duplicating exactly what has been discussed in the FAQ discussion thread many times over, and much is documented in the FAQ. Keep speaking to MS as they do seem to offer compensation in the form of games/accessories (wireless pads) if the repair takes too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.