1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    I've just ordered my first portable device - the Creative Zen 60GB.

Now all I want to do is transfer my CDs onto the machine, via my laptop. I used to use MD, which I actually prefer, it's just that I was going on a triop the other day, and I couldn't find my MD of an album I wanted to listen to. D'OH!

I might want to download the odd track, but most of my music will be stuff I've bought in the shop.

So, I have a few questions.

When the Creative arrives, will I have to use their software, or can I simply drag & drop from Windows Media (WMA if fine with me)?

All the sites I go to (eg. Napster) have their own software which you have to download to 'manage' your music. I don't want to bloody 'manage' anything - I just want to put my music on the Creative. Any ideas?

If I have a CD album, example Neil Young's 'After The Goldrush', and I want to 'add' tracks to this album (eg. CSN&Y's 'Helpless' & 'Ohio'), is this easy to do in Windows Media Player, so that the whole album (including my own 'bonus tracks') transfers to the Creative as a whole 'album', rather than an album + 2 extra, unattached tracks?

I thought a pile of CDs, a computer, Windows Media Player, and a portable would be all I'd need, but it now looks like I may also have to use two seperate pieces of software in addition to this (the software with the creative and the software with Napster, etc). Why does everything have to be so bloody complicated?

Steve W

2. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,317
    Once you have the files on your hard drive you can combine them into one "album". However I would suggest that if you are aimimng to use all of the capacity of your 60g player I would suggest that you do employ a consisting filing method. I base mine on albums, artists and titles and then use playlists to do the compilations. In other words I load the tracks for each album, I then create a playlist to select tracks from the different albums into compilations as required. So for example i can listen to Mark Knopfler' solo albums or tracks by Dire Straits and also have a playlist to combine the lot.

I note you do not want to "bloody 'manage' anything", but to fully exploit the options an MP3 player can give you then it is not such a bad idea and if you have thousands of tracks it is a very good one.

Regards

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345
  4. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    ive just got the 30gb zen.

its a good idea to use the supplied software,its very easy and you can just take a few tracks off a cd.

the software sorts everything for you e.g artists,album,genre etc.

give it a try mate,