1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software update

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by G a f f e r, Dec 27, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I've just downloaded the latest software update for my iPod. If I proceed to update it, will I lose my existing music collection (which I've spent 2 weekends sticking on there manually as my powerbook hardrive hasn't got much space left)

thanx for any help

2. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    no, u wont lost ur data unless u actually format the ipod. updating just updates the software

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    thanx LnkinRuss - happy new year

4. Ace12434

Ace12434

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the necessity of updating the software? I am a fairly new IPOD user, and I get a request to download an update every time I plug it in. I always click 'no' because I had the same concern about losing songs. It still works fine. Do I need to keep it updated?

5. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New firmware updates are regularly posted (they seem to come out about once every couple of months or so) by Apple to give new features or improve stability for existing features for iPods. You don't have to update, but doing so will get rid of the message when you plug it in.