Software Update Will Fix Sound Issues

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Drinks Trader, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Drinks Trader

Drinks Trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Sky customer services today.

As I have posted elsewhere I've had sound problems with my HD box using the optical connection. The box was replaced, but a few weeks following the issue has again returned as bad as it was before.

After a lengthy hold, whilst the Customer Services person spoke with someone else (presumably their technical dept), I was told that my problems weren't to do with the hardware, but were a known software issue (apparently they have had lots of complaints). I was then told that this issue would be corrected when a new software version was released.

Unfortunately they couldn't tell me when this would be, or even how I would know (assuming the fault didn't disapear).

2. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean sound drop outs on Dolby digital broadcasts?

Andy.

3. Drinks Trader

Drinks Trader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any loss of sound/interference which occurs when you go to and from planner/tv guide, or use fast forward, rewind etc.

4. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havnt had that problem yet. There has always been a couple of seconds of no sound when you press play after fast forwarding but i had that with my Sky+ box as well.
    The drop outs during DD films are a hell of a lot more annoying and needs fixing first!

Andy.

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Are the drop outs at the broadcast end? That was what was suggested for the ones on the early BBC broadcasts such as the Queens birthday party show on BBC HD.

I've had the "interference" problem on a couple of recordings and it is much worse than drop outs as it completely garbles the audio.

6. MickB

MickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I've got constant sound drop-outs from any DD-encoded program, and it makes no difference if its 'live' or played back from disk.
    They occur 2-3 times per minute, lasting a couple of seconds.

Sky have accepted there's a compatibility issue with some brands of amps, and 'may' be solved by a future s/w update.

I've resorted to using an external DD decoder (Creative DDTS-100), sending the optical signal from Sky to this, and sending the anologue (6 phono) output from this to my amp.

Its a right royal pain in the ****, and I'm in discussion with Sky re compensation for the additional h/w I've had to buy!

7. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,854
    sky have been saying " a known issue" and a software update since they started broadcastingi n DD, at least a year to my knowledge!, still waiting for it to be fixed...its just the bog standard answer of..were doing something about it dont worry!..the normal fob off!!!.

8. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just started getting this a lot on Sky One HD. I was watching Weeds and every few seconds the sound would either skip or disappear. This was when not using an amp just the TV.

During some films the sound drops out for a few seconds as well but not as constant as Sky One. That's when using my Amp.

I'm also getting the sound delay after fast forwarding and rewinding.

The only other problem i've had is the box switched it's self off once. Other than that i'm still loving it.