Software Update for PACE Twin

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by duncandmann, Oct 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. duncandmann

duncandmann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a PACE Twin (AFTER reading about the woes of PACE Twin users over recent months, amazingly :rolleyes:), basically because it does seem good value, given what it does. I have just ordered an 80Gb HD from Dabs to give it a sensible amount of storage capacity.

I was surprised to find that the software shipped with the Twin is Version 1.7.28, which is dated May 2003. I suspect that there may be some out there who reckon it may be better to hang on to anything other than the current version of the software, but I guess I'll be missing out on quite a bit of added functionality if I don't upgrade, though not quite sure what exactly. Can anyone illuminate? Also, can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting hold of the updated software? I've checked dtg.org.uk, and they only list updates for the next two weeks - and the PACE Twin isn't one of them. This seems a bit like buying a new PC with Windows 95, and then waiting a couple of months for Microsoft to "broadcast" the Windows xP upgrade...

I am surprised that PACE don't ship these boxes with the current software.

2. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After purchasing my Pace in January I have installed all the upgrades as they have become available.

The last upgrade was horendous, before that I occasionally got a lockup (once a month maybe), then after upgrading it would lock up several times a week.

The most recent upgrade (1.7.62) which was a few weeks ago has been fine so far with one lockup and haven't yet had a recording fail.

The newer TV guide section is improved although it still looks very cheap compared with digital TV's etc.

Skiddins

3. ItsMikeE

ItsMikeE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through the same thing, having to wait about 3 weeks after I bought the box before getting the latest software.
    According to Pace technical support you either wait for the next over the air update, or send the box to them to be updated.
    The next one is due in November although there is no definite date.
    If you send an email to download.info@pacemicro.com you will get advance warning of the dates and contents of the next upgrade.

4. duncandmann

duncandmann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was useful, thanks ItsMikeE. Just checked the dtg website, and there no sign of it on the horizon yet.