1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software to edit MPEG2 and DV camcorder footage captured on hdd/dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by geordie, Sep 28, 2004.

1. geordie

geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Toshiba RDXS32 hard drive dvd recorder and a new Panasonic GS400 DV cam. I want to edit old s-vhs and Hi-8 tapes to dvd and then do the same with new DV recordings. I am not after flash menus, just seamless playback of rearranged footage with reasonable frame accuracy (which also means being able to hear the audio when making chapter marks on the PC). The finished dvd must play back at high quality on the Toshiba RDXS32, of course.

The Toshiba is excellent at editing out ads, trimming and archiving films etc to dvdr and rw, and for converting old s-vhs and Hi-8 camcorder tapes to hdd/dvd. But the one thing it isn't really up to is editing camcorder footage before archiving. The inevitable half second pause and silence between cuts is fine for TV (and between different camcorder recording events), but it looks and sounds naff when editing short scenes together.

So what is the simplest route to getting rid of these edit pauses? I plan to copy from VHS/Hi-8/DV to dvd-rw or dvd-ram on the set-top recorder, then author on a PC using Ulead DVD Moviefactory3 Disc Creator or similar, before writing back to dvd.

Rasczak (on the dvd recorder forum) has recommended using MPEG-VCR to conduct frame accurate editing of the MPEG2 copies of s-VHS/Hi-8 tapes made on the Toshiba hdd/dvd recorder, then importing into a DVD authoring programme that supports VR mode (such as Ulead Movie Factory products) and authoring to DVD-Rw or DVD-RAM. That is fine for editing MPEG2 recordings made on the Toshiba from VHS/Hi8. But what about DV?

I will also want to edit digital camcorder footage streamed from my new camcorder's DV output, either direct to PC or via the Toshiba RDXS32, editing on PC before burning to dvd-rw or ram. What is the best mix of software to do both this and to edit MPEG2 captured on dvd-rw from older s-vhs / Hi8 tapes by the Toshiba? Is MPEG-VCR suitable for editing DV?. Does the RDXS32 convert DV to MPEG2? Will Ulead DVD MovieFactory3 Disc Creator deal with both?

My PC is an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 80GB hard drive, running Windows XP pro; I will upgrade this if necessary.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Yes, you can edit files from a DVD or capture from a DV camcorder with MF3 and it is really easy to use and gives very good results for the money.
    MF3 is a DVD authoring program so the editing features are fairly basic, but as you do not want advanced editing I think it will be ideal for your needs.

Mark.