Software to backup my iTunes library folder and MP3 files

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by danwalton, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hi all,
    After the scare of a damaged iTunes library file causing me to lose all my playlists, playcounts, podcasts etc and other metadata last night I had to revert to a (thankfully) fairly recent backup that I made of my iTunes folder in order to rebuild my library.

All my music is stored on a partition of my vista laptop’s internal hard drive, and the iTunes library folder is in the standard My documents/music location on the C drive. I do not consolidate my library as I like to maintain the folders myself. I back up both the music files and iTunes folder regularly to an external USB hard drive which takes a few hours as it is a large library.

I would like to know if there is any software out there that can recognise when a file has been updated/altered and back it up at set intervals (say every other night). Obviously I could manually do this but it would be easier if there was a program out there that I can tell to back up my iTunes folder and the contents of my music partition, and for any future back ups to only copy the files that have been altered since the last back up (for example if I decide a particular album’s genre needs changing, I would then want to back up to reflect the change in this album’s ID3 tags, and the updated library.xml file – but not to take up time re-copying the entire TV shows folder which hasn’t been changed since the last back up, for example).

I know it’s a long winded question, and I hope someone was able to understand what I’m getting at!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,296
    Hi

You could create a simple batch file to achieve that.

Let me have the exact paths of your iTunes library folder and your audio partition. Also the full path to where those backups are currently stored on your external drive.

I'll reply back with a little text file that will do what you want. You could even schedule the job to run automatically once a day or once a week. The only thing it won't do is remove files off your backup drive if you delete them from your main drive.

Steve

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Just use MS synctoy. Free download from MS website.

I have 2Tb of data backed up using this. It's like a GUI version of Robocopy. Can be scheduled in Windows Task scheduler.

4. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Steve, many thanks for the kind offer but I have just installed Uridium's suggestion Synctoy and it's doing exactly what I wanted.

Many thanks to both of you!