• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Software swap??

Expatt

Standard Member
With regard to this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1757994-av2-sky.html

I have now had an email reply from Panasonic UK informing me that as my player is German, the "problems" that I am reporting are in fact correct functions of the player.

To that end, apart from the software standard I am leaning towards thinking that the DMR-BST820 1TB HD (Germany) is the same as the DMR-BWT720 1 TB HD (UK). If this is in fact the case, is it at all possible to get hold of the BWT720 basic software and then flash it onto the BST820?? Until the machine gets to the end of the production line, it is the same bit of kit, then receiving a software load, one in left hand drive and the other is right hand drive.....so to say.....?

Thanks
Matt

redaprilia

See my post in your other posting : you have got a satellite recorder IE for recording satellite stations . BWT 720 is a Freeview HD ( DTT ) aerial recorder -- totally different product . Best analogy I can come up with is trying to convert a Diesel powered car to run of Petrol !

Expatt

Standard Member
redaprilla, thanks for the input on both threads. Looks like I will have to carry on using my old player/recorder (an LG) to record Sky and use this very complex, very expensive player/recorder as just a Blu-ray player. Rather annoying and I really cannot understand why it is like it is. In Germany, there is no restriction to record a TV program, basically it is the same as the UK. More over, I feel completely and utter ripped off by Panasonic (told them this in an email and I still have no reply) as this function or lack of function is buried deep in the manual in the small print. Now it could be argued that I should have read the box.........I did and even though it is a German product, the box is completely in English and does not mention this anywhere. Had I have know, I would not have bough it the first place.........

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom