1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jlcrawford, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the hardware but I do not know which software combinations give a great performance with the Radeon and M Audio setup.
    Can people give their advice on which programs they run on their HCPCs in order to get the best poss sound/video out.
    I will be running into a Barco 808s throgh my Rock+ scaler in order to compare picture
    TIA

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,091
    The ATI player 5 gives the best picture in my opinion, but I can only get DPL from the spdiff.

I'm currently using Zoom Player which combines the video filter of the ATI player with the audio of WinDVD 2.8, and I get full DD and DTS.

If you haven't got the latest ATI player, get it here

Just install the DVD player software. It's a big download, but it's free and you don't need a serial number.

I'm not sure where to get WinDVD, but a search may turn up something.

Alternatively, the TheaterTec player is meant to be the best player going, but is about £60.

HTH

Gary.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I agree.
    TheaterTek is the no-brainer
    Zoom player allows you to get the best possible combination from the other players if you don't mind fiddling.
    PowerDVD 4 XP was my preferred option prior to getting TT.

You will need Powerstrip (look at the sticky on this forum or SEVENFOOTFILM for links) to get the correct refresh rates and resolutions (try 1280x720 first then give 1440x720 a go if you're running a 16:9 screen)

If you don't use Zoom or TT then you'll need YXY to tweak your aspect ratios.

Give DVD Region Killer a go to see if it can give you automatic region changing.

Make sure your DVD drive is flashed to be region free.

Try and setup your computer with a few partitions on it so that you can play.
    I've got a very nice dual boot win98SE (running great) and a winXPpro (no sound on TT yet- sort this weekend probably)

Use Ghost to backup your system once you have it stable. Then you can play with confidence.

Try and install the OS with as few things as poss - don't install browser, tcp/ip, games, etc, etc (I think I actually turned everything off in the custom install menu)

The Radeon drivers that are often used are 7093 (TT is tuned for these)

Erm...
    That will do
    Everything else is about ease of use not picture quality.

Let us know how you get on
    Good luck!
    Alex