1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software of choice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Garion, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Garion

Garion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is generally regarded as the best software for digital movie editing? Photoshop CS is regarded as the best digital stills manipulation software (by the majority of pro's and serious amatuers with enough money, before you dispute it) but what of movie making? What is regarded as the gold standard?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suppose AVID would be regarded as "the standard" but look at cheaper options such as Sony's Vegas , Adobe Premiere & Apple's Final Cut Pro

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quantel is the absolute higher echelon editing system, hundreds of thousands of pounds, zero compression, not used much outside hollywood.

Avid would be the most common broadcast level package, still expensive but the price has dropped since the advent of Final Cut Pro.

Final Cut pro is a mac only software which is fairly user friendly and gives plenty of customisation.

I use Premeiere which is not all that user friendly but works more closely to the old linear 3-point editing style. It dovetails perfectly with after effects and photoshop, although I would not recommend it for beginners.

Both Pinnacle (PC) and iMovie(Mac) do a reasonable job for the non technical user, but their lack of more advanced features and the sometimes convoluted work arounds can be very frustrating.