1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Interpolation.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by pwiles1968, Dec 15, 2003.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am new to digital photography, and have only had a camera for a few weeks, bought a Minolta Z1, I am very impressed, so much so I will probably end up selling all of my SLR Kit, I do however have one problem when I do larger prints, ½ A4 pictures are starting to get a little grainy (on close inspection), I was expecting this really as the camera is only 3Mp. I have read about Digital Interpolation in the new Fuji Cameras and realise it is software based, are there any programs out there that I can use on the PC to help with image quality on larger prints? I already use paint shop or Photoshop to Sharpen etc – (still learning how to use these) Just wondered if there was anything else out there I could be using. :confused:

Doh - Just read the genuine fractals thread, Same question really.

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    If you're using photoshop you should be able to (with a bit of trial and error) get some very good results using a combination of unsharp mask, multiple layers with blending modes and layer opacity. Once you've found a suitable combination you can set up an action to replicate the effect and assign it to a key stroke. Hey presto - one key resizing with very little break up or grain.

4. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    You should not need to sharpen if the image is ok on screen .how are you resizing in paint shop if you change the size it will resample ie interpolate which is usually not good .If youchange the resolution instead it will give you the size you want without resampling . Remember resizing and resampling are not the same thing

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
  6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheer's tomson, Have to go Christmas shopping now but will have a good read later.

Anyone recommend a book for Photoshop, someone has suggested killer tips and techniques anyone else know any good ones.

7. Miggs

Miggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Photoshop for Dummies, please don't take it personal lol.
    I have this book and I have found it a geat help when starting out with Photoshop. Good luck

8. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have ordered Photoshop for Photographers will get the dummies if it is a bit too much.

None Taken lol.

9. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Photoshop (7) bible by Deke McLelland has been the definitive Photoshop book for many years, if you want a book that tells you everything. It's reasonably readable. But if your only interest is optimising photo images, then something more targetted is a good idea.