1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for organising photos

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by AOD, Jul 10, 2003.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently purchased a Canon Ixus 400 and am chuffed to bits with it.

Just for background we also have a couple of SLRs in the house (an original Ricoh XR-X and a more up to date Canon EOS, either a 300 or a 3000, can't recall which).

I'm after some software that will make uploading pictures/sharing/searching/archiving a doddle. The software that comes with the camera is functional, but not much more than that.

Does anyone have any recommendations on software that's worth getting for this?

I've seen one package in action at a friend's place (called Picasa I believe) which looked very slick. You connect up the camera, images are automatically uploaded and shown against a timeline. Admittedly that's not *all* I want to do, but it's that kind of automation that makes the technology actually useful.

Restrictions? Well, I'm running with W98SE so it has to work with that. Other than that, suggest away!

Another question also, aside from sparing the battery in the Ixus, would an external CF reader give any benefits in upload/download performance?

Given that the camera connects via a USB cable I'm assuming that a regular USB 1.1 reader wouldn't give me any benefits.

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can heartily recommend Adobe Photo Album. Its the equivelent of Apple Macs Iphoto but slightly better.

It can upload from camera, file or scanner. It can organise in just about any way you want:
    eg import date,file creation date, if from camera then shoot date, date you printed, date you published, in fact date you did anything using this package.

It also has tagging these are graphical rather than keywords. Once set up very powerful. I can now load 50 photos and in about 5 minutes tag to a level where each photo is tagged for each person in it,the place and event.

Searching is very powerful as you simply click tags or drag them onto a search bar. You can even group tags and search against group. Search can be against dates and actions you have taken with camera, the list goes on, its powerful all right, and more importantly, its quick and easy.

Archiving and backups are a breeze, it retains thumbnails and when you want to look at the image it will tell you which CD to put in. Backups can be full or incremental and it backs up photos as well as data.

It can be used for any multimedia file (videos, mp3s etc).

And you can even download a 30 day trial from adobe. Was £25 from PC world recently.

Its not a graphics package but allows you to tell it which photo tool to use, but it does offer one click fixes souch as red eye, cropping, colour.... It also wont overwrte the original so if you mess up you can also go back.

Has a myriad of publishing tools too.

Have I sold it to you yet? I was so impressed I showed it to my colleagues at work and everyone now has it (some have even paid for it like me!!!)

Im assuming you have Canon zoombrowser which is faster for downloading images, but its a doddle to get them into adobe.

3. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I can also vouch for Adobe Photo Album. I don't have anything to add to the effusive praise above though.

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks chaps, following your comments I feel I should fess up!

I had spied the Adobe package you mentioned and wondered if it was any good. A review I saw for Picasa said it was visually nice, but lacking in substance. Others that I read for Adobe did indeed make it sound like the dogs danglies.

Yes I do have Canon Zoombrowser which to be honest looks like Canon tried just a bit too hard. To be fair though, it is free and and at least it does what it says on the tin. I'm hoping there's a way to switch off some of the annoying zoom animations cos it doesn't half look naff (at least it does on my laptop).

I shall take a look at the trial copy of Photo Album and see how I get on.

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats why i stopped using zoombrower. The only fast bit of it was the download bit.

Reviews that say its lacking in substance cannot have looked very hard. And thats understandable, to get the benefit of software like this you have to live withit for a bit.

I have had this package for 2 months now and am still learning different ways to list my photos. Just discovered last night I could do multiple renaming with a single click!!!!

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Umm, actually I described the Picasa package as lacking substance, rather than Adobe :)

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of these days, I will make the effort to learn how to read

8. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I left the machine downloading the trial version (all 161 Meg) so I shall have a look at this when I get home.

9. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi AOD - how'd you get on with Adobe Photo Album ?

I'm on 56k dialup, and it sounds a hefty download !

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

10. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    driver8, I work in Preston, Ill copy the demo for you if you like. PM me and Ill send it post it to you or meet you.

Up to you

11. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, it installed without a hitch (which is always nice) and so far I haven't had a great deal of time to explore.

One thing I have noticed is that as already commented, the image download using Zoombrowser EX is faster than going via Photoshop Album, presumably because Album has to use the "generic" camera interface. Then again, given the size of most of my memory cards, I don't think it's that much of an issue.

I like the interface and I also like the way that you can publish slideshows etc in Acrobat (.PDF) files so anybody can view a slideshow, with audio also I think.

First impressions are pretty positive, so positive that I actually ordered a copy which should be arriving shortly. Now I just need to get out there and start taking some pictures.

12. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nunew33 - that's very kind ! :blush: I'll PM you my address now !

AOD - thanks for the comments - sure sounds like a package worth investigating !

13. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2