• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Software for merging pics ? ? ?

gilbertdave

Standard Member
Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some free software to merge pictures.

I'm certain I've done this before using the HP Photosmart Software that comae with my printer, but for some reason, having re-installed it on a new computer, I cannot for the life of me find the command.

I'm basically trying to find something that will "intelligently" take a number of pics that I've taken and turn them into a panoramic by fitting together or merging the pics.

Like I say, I've done it before and the software jsut mvoed the pics together, aligned the edges and balanced the colour etc. Probably not to a very proffessional level, but more than enough for what I want.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Dave.

senu

Distinguished Member
Most Canon cameras come with free software Photostitch ( look on the CD if you have one)
Otherwise
What about

AutoStitch

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
Another suggestion
All versions of Adobe Photoshop Elements in recent times also do in thier Photomerge mode
The earlier discontinued versions ( 4/5/6/7? ) may be got for not a lot of money
Unless you already have your own favourite photo editing software and really dont want to have something else you wont use much
Although automated, thereis more scope for manual work and if that sounds hard, free tutorials abound
An old Tutorial from ver 2 ( way back in 2002)
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30235

Last edited:

Solero

Standard Member
You can also use Windows Live Gallery to stitch photos, if you don't have it already is free to download, just select the photos you want, right click and "create panaromic photo" seems to work quite well.

shotokan101

Banned
Alternatively the free version of this has been recommended on these boards before...

AutoStitch

JIm

shotokan101

Banned
You didnt see post #2 did you?:rotfl:

I did actually Senu but I'm not used to seeing such good advice in your replies :rotfl: <Kidding>

...must admit I stopped reading after you mentioned the Canon Free stuff.... :facepalm:

...the most annoying thing is I've been hunting for that link for hours :(

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
Well youve found it now:laugh:

I find that Canons free stuff is very underated because it is free...or because folk never bother with the CDs in the box

My other post re Elements is really for anyone who uses it but was not aware that Photomerge exists
I sometimes used it in even group , landscape type shots when I had the Canon 17- 85 which has such prominent Barrel distortion at 17mm:suicide: ., I actively avoided using it less than 24mm
Now though Canon has incorporated automated correction for that in DPP

gilbertdave

Standard Member
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the responses. I've downloaded a demo version of Autostitch and... hey presto, it did exactly what I wanted.

And here is the finished product... probably not great photographically (or at least not to level some of you guys may be accustomed, but the camera is a week old and stuck firmly in "auto", so I'm happy !)

pano.jpg

"A little something I knocked up in my back garden"

Thanks again

shotokan101

Banned
Pretty impressive :cool:

Jim

senu

Distinguished Member
And here is the finished product... probably not great photographically (or at least not to level some of you guys may be accustomed, but the camera is a week old and stuck firmly in "auto", so I'm happy !)

Stop knocking it ( or yourself) its fine:hiya:

gilbertdave

Standard Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with it, just don't know yet what the difference was between the ones that came out well and the ones that were rubbish ! ha ha...

I suppose if it didn't take practice it would be boring though !

Cheers again for the help with the software... In the last few minutes I've stitched a gazillion pictures and now plan to take "panoramic" everything pics ! :clap:

shotokan101

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with it, just don't know yet what the difference was between the ones that came out well and the ones that were rubbish ! ha ha...

I suppose if it didn't take practice it would be boring though !

Cheers again for the help with the software... In the last few minutes I've stitched a gazillion pictures and now plan to take "panoramic" everything pics ! :clap:

My God ! - we've created a Monster ! :eek:

Jim :D

apul

I've used Hugin before. Its been recently updated as well. It is abit tricky to use but creates excellent results.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom