1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software for listing albums?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by patwestlake, Sep 11, 2005.

1. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Greetings,

having tried many different software packages, from equipment vendors, and shareware or freeware, I cannot find a decent package for printing what they have catelogued. Sure, they can manage, sort, rip, convert, and play, but none seem able to print listings in a useful manner. I tried resorting to directory printing software, but that's just as bad! :thumbsdow

My music is stored in the format Artist/Album/Artist - Title.mp3, so it shouldn't be beyond whit of man or code monkey to print that out (all 40gb of it?!). If it's the format that is the issue, I can re-organise to fit, though would obviously prefer not to! This lot is about to stream over an MP101 using Twonkyvision FWIW.

Any suggestions? :lease:

Reagrds, Pat

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    You need a good old DOS command called TREE

(Example below presuming your MP3's are located at C:\Music)

open an MS-DOS command prompt and type

Tree C:\Music /F /A > c:\music.txt

this will give you a txt file (c:\music.txt) on the root of your C:\ drive listing all your folders\files.

(Syntax explained)
    the /F makes the tree command list filenames as well as just folders and the /A makes it out put in ASCII characters not illegible rubbish. The > symbol is used to pipe the output to C:\music.txt (or whatever you want to call it) rather than just display it on screen.

or if you output it to a CSV file (>c:\music.csv) you can use MS Excel to edit the file

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    You can use excel to edit the file even if you output it to a .txt file as they both give them same results and will probably confuse excel to be honest :)

4. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers for the help guys - tried the DOS command line, but as predicted excel can't easily cope with the "graphical" output and starts losing data like Artist.... Unfortunately you can't control the depth of interrogation to one subdirectory. I will kepp bashing on with the print directory programs though, as this seesm to be a profitable line of attack. :smashin:

Cheers, Pat

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Strange, I have my library of about 1000 folders in Artist/Album/Track format and tree works a treat for me.

You tried opening the outputted file in Word or Wordpad? This should stop you losing the Artist name