1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software DVD Player(s)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PaulBoy, Jan 20, 2001.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I tried to help someone out with their Compaq PC which the DVD played OK on prior to a reload of Win98
    It has a ATI DVD Player CD
    It has an Intel m/board with on board AGP graphics which I can only find an Intel Driver for (so I presume the AGP chip is an Intel)
    The ATI Player did work B4 but doesnt now
    The help file for it says it needs an ATI g/card to work (so how did it work B4 ?)
    I sugggested getting a third party DVD player like PowerDVD but I cant find anywhere "stable" that will let me do so
    Should I persevere trying to get PowerDVD ?
    Is the Win98 DVD Player any good ? If yes how do you install it (I understand it is buried in the Cab files on Win98 ?)
    TIA - Paul [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PaulBoy,

I have an ATI card that came with a DVD player. After one look it was out. PowerDVD is significantly better player and will not tie you up with a particular hardware.

If I understand your post correctly you have installed a fresh version of Win98 (SE or no SE), and after reinstalling ATI driver (which card do you have and were the drivers the latest from the ATI Technical Support) the player does not work. I recently spoke to ATI technical support in Ireland and they, without asking many questions, promptly sent to me the most recent installation CD. This may be all you need.

If you decide to go the other way and switch to PowerDVD, I saw it selling for £15 on one of the computer fares in London.