1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Choice

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Barbarosa, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Barbarosa

Barbarosa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having got the hardware set up, any advice for software choice?

Front End
    I've got MCE, and the iMon remote came with Multi Median. What are the pros & cons of each? I am also considering Media Portal - it supports DVB-S and with it being open source, the development might go towards what users want.

DVD Player
    Win DVD? TheaterTech - is it worth the extra money?

Dvd Ripping
    DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter?

Audio Ripping
    Now that I have HD space, I want to rip in a lossless format. It would also be important to be able to compress from the library to use in mobile devices. Any thoughts.

Paul

2. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought TheaterTek a week ago as it seems to be what's generally recommended. Can't say I'm impressed so far though. On the plus side when you used ffdshow with it you get a very noticeable improvement in quality, but that's ffdshow giving the benefit rather than TheaterTek. It also seems only to use ffdshow with DVDs, not with DivXs, TS files etc.

TheaterTek itself seems extremely buggy; it's currently refusing to play any DVDs on my system, previously it was crashing when I tried to play any file in it. It's probably some setting somewhere that it doesn't like, but I've tried a bunch and so far nothing helps. Regardless, it shouldn't crash!

VLC does a pretty good job of playing DVDs and it's free, unfortunately I couldn't see a way to use it with ffdshow (which is also free). The interface for VLC isn't all that great for an MCE PC either.

For ripping I'd go with the progs you mentioned. Both have recently been killed, presumably by the MPAA, but the last versions are still available.

I haven't looked into lossless audio ripping but FLAC seems to be the most popular format. For ripping to mp3 I've used AudioGrabber; it works very well and is now free. It can probably rip to FLAC too, worth checking out.

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    have you got the Nvidia codec installed?

Theatertek comes with it's own, and gets a bit miffed if the Nvidia one is installed already on your system..

4. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip Dude. Well that in itself is a bug, at the very least it should check for the nVidia codec on installation and ask you to remove it.

I did have the nVidia codec installed. I uninstalled it, uninstalled and reinstalled TheaterTek, and still have the same problems.

I don't want to hijack this thread, I'll keep wrestling with it. It cost me £50 so it had better damn well work!

Barbarosa if you're going to buy TheaterTek (there's no free trial) then make sure you take the refund within the week if you haven't got it working properly. I didn't, and now I could end up £50 down.

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,096
    If you have paid for MCE why not use that?
    It will playback all file types with the right codecs installed (apart maybe from .ts files) and if you install anydvd and the latest version of my movies you can rip dvd's to your movie database via the remote control :)

Have you gone for the purevideo codec with compatible nvidia card? Cos that looks good too!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  6. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case anyone else gets the same problem:

Dude, you were right about the nVidia coded being the problem, there are just a couple of extra steps that I didn't know about after the uninstalling and re-installing. Details here: http://www.theatertek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7716

Lisag as far as I can see the one big advantage of TheaterTek is that it can use ffdshow (although only for DVDs unfortunately). Properly configured ffdshow makes a big difference, the picture appears significantly more detailed. Any program that can use ffdshow would probably be as good, but I just don't know of any :)