1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software based line doubler

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ShinObiWAN, Dec 3, 2003.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the idea of a HTPC but I was wondering if there was such a thing as a software line doubler or similar that could be used with a DVD player such as theatertek or PowerDVD.

Maybe even a DVD player that already has this feature?

I've seen talk about the ffdshow but as far as I can tell this does not have this feature.

Thanks for any input

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    HTPCs scale anyway : the graphics card does it as a matter of course all you have to worry about is specifying the best resolution for your kit.

If you mean can you get external sources into an HTPC and get it to perform as an offboard scaler/deinterlacer yes you can. Dscaler is one of the cornerstones of the HTPC microverse. You'll get a scaler for a couple of hundred quid that you'd have to spenf a couple of thousand to better.

Normal configurations usually have a dvd drive internally to the HTPC using a software dvd player like Theatertek as you've mentioned.
    Then you might add a decent analogue capture card ( £30-£600 depends on what you want)with Dsclaer ( freeware). I use it mainly for consoles but its pretty good for freeview, sky , laserdisc etc . I use a nebula digiTV tuner card for freeview purposes and this also functions as a PVR (totally lossless).

Then you can also use your HTPC as a jukebox and dump off thousands of albums to it,

And of course you can use it for all the other things that a PC does , gaming , surfing, tennis etc.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr.D

I was under the impression that a line doubler 'adds' extra detail to the image. Rather than just scale the image to fit more pixels and then anti-alias the image to smooth it out.

Am I way off here?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    Its the same thing ; line doubling/quadrupling is an older term more from the video world m, as computers have become more commonplace in video technology most people these days refer to the process as scaling rather than refer to it in terms of lines.

Its all just about taking an image and changing its resolution ( commonly making it higher resolution but you can go the other way too).

The trick is to make a relatively low res image like a video frame into a larger one without introducing aliasing and other obvious signs of the up rez. You can't really make more information than you start out with all you can do is try to hide the lack of it in an inoffensive way.

magical claims of increasing picture information are best taken with a large pinch of salt.

5. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Mr.D

Its obvious you know the subject well and I'm a little more enlightened now because of it.

I can now see what you were trying to get at in your first post and it seems that the HTPC is definitely the way to go.