• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Softmod gone wrong - Help needed.

GAmbrose

I succesfully Softmodded my NTSC Xbox in December but because I was an idiot I managed to screw it up after about a week.

I use a Wireless access point which has a switch on and it was set to the wrong position. Not realising this, I couldn't understand why the Network was no longer working. Assuming it to be the fault of the softmod, I re-installed it via the menu that comes up when you power the Xbox on with the DVD Drive open, but midway through it buggered up and now I get a low res warning telling me to return to Microsoft to be fixed and the Power light flashes red and green.

Anyway, I really want to salvage it because

A) It's got all my savegames on!

B) I still want to use it as a Media Centre.

So is there any bootdisc type thing I can create to attempt to repair the file structure or any way of fixing it myself?

Gary A

lei179

Coldboot the retail game and load the exploit to regain ftp acces otherwise use xboxhdm.What error code is displayed??

oddfeld

It's possible you've enabled some EEPROM (firmware) setting for NTSC/HD or something that isn't supported on a PAL xbox.

If it's utterly buggered to the point where it won't cold boot from a retail disc, you can always fix it by sticking in a hardware mod chip which will then let you load a hacked bios from the chip (which won't care what you've messed about with) before booting anything.

What is the exact error message you're getting though?

GAmbrose

I'll have to get back to you on that. It's an NTSC X-box BTW.

It won't play retail games either, it always goes to the message.

Gary A

oddfeld

Quinten said:

If it won't cold boot a retail disk, it's not going to boot an installer disk like AID either. It sounds like the OP has changed something that a retail xbox doesn't like being changed. With a softmod, the xbox behaves like a retail xbox as it boots up, and it's only when it gets to the point of loading the exploited software (doctored fonts/doctored Live dashboard or whatever) that it loads the hacked bios that you need for it to do all those cool modded-xbox type things. If you change something that the xbox checks for on power on (whether the hard drive is locked, for example), then it can brick a softmodded xbox because the thing isn't modded right from powering it on and hangs on an error message before it gets anywhere near loading the softmod (which would then let you boot unsigned code like the AID disk).

Depending on what has been changed, it may be rescuable using XboxHDM, but the easiest way to rescue it would probably be to just stick a chip in it.

GAmbrose

Sadly that is beyond my technical expertise.

It was basically re-installing files on the hard drive when it wents balls up.

Gary A

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
have you turned it on with the game actually in? what i mean is put the game in, shut the drive then turn off then on the power.

also try booting it up from cold in these 3 other ways

1. no disc in tray closed power on
2. no disc tray closed use eject to power on
3. tray open no disc power off. then turn on.

do you get the xbox logo before the error message?

what do the lights do?

GAmbrose

JagoPlasma said:
have you turned it on with the game actually in? what i mean is put the game in, shut the drive then turn off then on the power.

also try booting it up from cold in these 3 other ways

1. no disc in tray closed power on
2. no disc tray closed use eject to power on
3. tray open no disc power off. then turn on.

do you get the xbox logo before the error message?

what do the lights do?

OK, some more information.

First I get the Xbox logo, at which point the resolution switches down with the following message in green text and multiple languages:

Your Xbox requires service.
Please call Xbox Customer Support.

The lights on the front surrounding the big eject button flash between green and red.

I tried turning it on the 3 ways you suggested and all of them ended on the same error message.

I think I can actually see the Softmodded dashboard for a split second before the message appears as well.

So...where do I go from here?

Gary A

lei179

What error code does it give you??normally in the top corner of the screen.

GAmbrose

lei179 said:
What error code does it give you??normally in the top corner of the screen.

Definately no error code, I took a picture of it on my phone. Message at the top is in English and there (I guess) it's repeated in 5 other languages.

Gary A

lei179

Strange normally you get a number,,could you post the image ???

lei179

error7.jpg

does it look like this?? note the number 7 in the corner??

or have you sorted it out??

lei

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
try it with tray open, disc in then power it on

Some softmods work also if you boot the xbox with the drawer open and you may be able to reinstall from there, if you cant boot an original game and use the exploit again then I think you will need to rebuild the hd with xboxhdm on a pc. Its easy to do but if you dont know the xbox hd unlock code or have a back up of your xbox you will have to hot swap the drive to the pc and rebuild your c drive

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom