Soft Mud

Discussion in 'Past Entries' started by twain155, May 1, 2007.

1. twain155

twain155

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Really should have thought this one through, left myself with absolutely no ideas!
    Gonna be busy over the next month viewing houses and hopefully moving so gonna put in an early entry which i just randomly came up with.

My camera is pretty pants and therefore i couldn't get the depth of field tight on the subject area, this meant I had to create the false depth of field using blur tools in paint shop pro.

[​IMG]

Camera - Casio EX-Z70
    Exposure time - 1/800th
    ISO - 100 (again not shown in EXIF for some reason)
    Focal Length - 38mm
    Aperture - 3.3

Should have chosen empty houses or vans for the theme, might have got some good pictures of those this month!!

2. scharf_10

scharf_10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    This is a really effective photo, and for some reason reminds me of holiday prices written in the sand in a holiday brochure. Although you can tell that you've added the blur yourself, its still not bad. Well done.

3. Chunder

Chunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    You've done a good job with the post-production, though - the DOF looks pretty realistic!

4. Brammers

Brammers
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Not bad at all! The horizon isn't straight, but I don't think I mind - it's not a shot where it has to be. The added blur looks fine going back from the text, but at the front it does look false - it needed to be added more gently. However, I'm not sure I'd have guessed it was added later if you hadn't have told me.

Muted colours work well and it's sharp where it needs to be. Well done :)

5. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Nice...It gives the text a strange effect...almost like it's in minature. Can I ask how big the letters actually were, out of interest?

6. twain155

twain155

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The horizon isn't perfect but its not as bad as it looks, where it moves from the shore line to the deeper channels from left to right the ground does actually slope in real life quite a bit which I think adds to the illusion.
    And yes the foreground blur is awful, but even using the minimum blur it jumped from sharp to quite blurry straight away. I tried softening it which for the background was easier due to having more space, but at the front just didn't work.
    As for the size of the letters they're probably around 10-12" but it does appear much smaller and closer for some reason.

7. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the best house hunting,you seem to spot a good shot...... so houses shouldnt be to much bother.I Dont envy the moving in part though:mad: .

Nice entry I like it:smashin:

8. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Nice shot twain. A little cheesy perhaps but still a pleasing image. The artifical bokeh is pretty good.

9. twain155

twain155

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Well the house move has been postponed a month or so now so didn't need to rush so much, also due to the extra cash it's made available I went out and got my hands on a canon EOS 350d, which i thought would make a good entry into the digital slr arena, seeing that this is my first and will take a while to get to grips with.
    Was only £350 with the 18-55mm lens, which isn't amazing but gives me something to learn with.
    Any recommendation for lenses or where to buy them from (new or used) will be much appreciated, have seen the 55-200mm and 75-300 lenses (both canon and third party offerings) which look like a decent investment, and would also like a wide angle lens.
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer!!