Soft Focus with Video Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dfurdog, Aug 5, 2006.

1. dfurdog

dfurdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have have just bought a Hitachi PJ-TX200 LCD projector and previously had a Dreamvision CinexTwo..which failed and was too expensive to repair..hence the new Hitachi, the Dream Vision was DLP and the Hitachi is LCD
    My problem is that whatever I do or did with the settings on either projector the image always appeared to be slightly out of focus or "soft", not " Crisp" this is with either projector directly onto a wall or onto diffusion type screen, and from various sources..freeview Box, DVD player, or a multimedia box, I use good quality leads, component input to the projector and RGB from the freeview box and have fiddled with all the settings available, my picture in 16X9 is about 2M diagonal.
    One other thing is that when using the Hitachi and to some extent the Dreamvision as well, when viewing from my freeview box, (and previously from my Sky box) the white's "flare" and lack detail, like there is far too much contrast but turning it down does not seem to help any suggestions anyone please, also if anyone wants to knw about the Hitachi PJ-TX200 please ask
    cheers
    Dfurdog

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I think your expecting too much performance from your freeview box.
    My experience of freeview thru projectors / large plasmas is that there nasty. Horrible pixellated macroblocked images that you have to sit a fair way back from. It's just the severe bandwidth limitations of the format.

Have you tried DVD sources etc... If they are okay then you know it's not the PJ. Have you thought about Skyhd or TW TVdrive. Both give a great picture through a PJ.

3. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    If your not using high-definition source material, then the projector is always going to have to do some scaling and smoothing simply because the source resultion is lower than the projector. On a 2m wide screen the edges of standard definition objects on screen are always going to look a little bit soft. If you don't have Sky HD have you tried hooking up a PC and playing a bit of hi-def content?