Sofabaton X1 remote

moraybank

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has joined the Kickstarter for the Sofabaton X1 which went live today?

I had never heard of it and learned about it through targeted advertising a few weeks ago, I’ve stuck myself down on the Kickstarter as it’s reasonably cheap. Hopefully it’s not a total dud and more so I hope they actually fulfill orders 😵‍💫

Last edited:
It’s certainly an improvement on the previous one.
Could have done with a more sensible name though.

I am in the Facebook group and am now bombarded by questions about it.

I am still on my Pronto and I thought great possibly something, but they seem reluctant to answer questions on things like voice control and that Hue is not something that they aren't supporting as it and focussing on AV.

I can sort of see where they are going and they could possibly add features over time. However, if they don't include the hardware for a microphone from the start they are a bit stuck. The voice control in the US is really high uptake. Having have used my TV remote and mic I do like it so now I have two remotes....

I just hope it’s not a scam, sometimes with Kickstarter when something seems way to good to be true, it usually isn’t…

Plus a few red flags with conflicting answers to questions in the group, the official sites using outlook and gmail addresses… 😬

Ive taken the gamble, so I guess only time will tell.

I've taken the gamble too. Was a bit concerned that they don't use 'official' email addresses or websites in their ads but they do seem like a proper brand so here's hoping.

Looks like it'll work in a similar way to the Harmony so lets see what happens. Worth a gamble at £70 imo.

Yes took the VIP offer for 2xremotes. I have 2 of the U1, and they are fine for the price, but these seem worth the upgrade offer, albeit I’ve been lazy with decommissioning my harmonies while the second-hand market is buoyant, so never fully switched to batons as the only point and click, but they are certainly functional and efficient to program, as long as you have another means fir doing the complicated stuff you may want in a dedicated room.

I assume there would be vat and couriers admin fee to pay on top of the £70 for the remote, taking it up to a more likely just over £90?? As its coming from Hong Kong.

I assume there would be vat and couriers admin fee to pay on top of the £70 for the remote, taking it up to a more likely just over £90?? As its coming from Hong Kong.
Probably, but still very cheap for what you are hopefully getting.

Quite like the U1 I already have so also taken a punt on the X1. Should overcome the direction problem I have with the U1 if it turns up.

It's free shipping, I've had an email today to say the free shipping offer ends in 24 hours.

It's free shipping, I've had an email today to say the free shipping offer ends in 24 hours.
That doesn’t negate customs and handling into the UK.

Youtube description of the X1

Another X1 review

& another

Seen some of the complaints and backers dropping out on the Kickstarter. Maybe it’s me but the Power On/off and Back on the top seem really minor. Also, assuming it’s the same ergonomic size of my Harmony Elite, the example of having to shifty up your hand/grip to get to them is unrealistic, you just twist from your thumb to your index finger to get the reach, your entire grip doesn’t need to move.

My only concerns are the ‘all off‘ working reliably and the expansion of inbuilt device support, as adding one device at a time and having to learn every button is quite a chore on the current U1, and they really need to see if the software can allow you to setup all devices without having to sync every time, just once at the end like the Harmony does.

My overall feeling is I am really looking forward to it, especially if it matches the quality and responsiveness of the FireTV remote it is clearly inspired by, as that is my favourite standalone remote to use.

Right; some people seem to be complaining that it is not a completely different remote i.e. one with a numeric keyboard. Did they not notice it did not have one and did not have one intentionally?

I got the impression there might be some deliberate sabotage going on with some of the negative stuff. e.g. As well as the keyboard & button placeent stuff the awful fuss over the screen font seemed odd to me. Who cares so long as it is readable.

I think I got the email on day one of the Kickstarter and photos at least were pretty clear, as to what buttons and where.

I watched the videos on this. The lack of an IR emitter in the remote seems like a mistake to me. This means you will most likely need a hub or blaster pointing at your TV in addition to any cabinet setup.

That endless scrolling alphabetised list of commands is just horrible. I think entering a multi-number sequence (e.g. for a time-based skip) will be impossible. Hopefully in the final version you can at least rename and re-order the commands for more convenient use.

I watched the videos on this. The lack of an IR emitter in the remote seems like a mistake to me. This means you will most likely need a hub or blaster pointing at your TV in addition to any cabinet setup.

Equipped with a wireless hub and intelligent App, you can control all of your devices without pointing directly. Connect your devices using IR, WLAN, or Bluetooth mode, to eliminate the need for line of sight control. Now, you can freely control your devices from anywhere in the home.

You are still going to either need the hub or IR blasters in line of sight of any IR control devices.

With a Harmony remote the handset can perform this function which is ideal if you want to either run without a hub, or hide the hub away in a cabinet.

No.:(

Absolutely nothing on these but Yio who also run Kickstarter have issued a long piece on their progress.

Last edited:
Kickstarter now says it’ll be “early April” before delivery, apparently due to a lot of waffle about Chinese New Year!
That will make it close to Yio.

Has anyone received notification of dispatch dat on these yet?
Sofabaton are saying dispatch to non US backers will not be before April.

'Backers in other countries and the remaining US backers are expected to receive your X1 remotes in early April.'

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom