1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sofa sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by squid, Jul 12, 2002.

1. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking of building a sub. To hide it's location i was thinking of building it into the sofa .

There are quite a few plus points , the mane 2 being . From what I have read to get a realy good frequency range you need a rather large enclosure , I was thinking the perfect place might be in the void of the sofa .

The other is that the bass would be right there with you so I would'nt need the volume up to high to get a good effect so I would'nt bother anyone quite so much

Has anyone tried this

Could there be ab any problems with doing this . Any idears would be helpfull

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    If you build it into the sofa you'll certainly feel the experience!

I've put some bass shakers in my seat platform and they really add an extra dimension to movies. If you can get the bass sound out ok then I think you'll be onto a winner...

My sub sounds fine, but you can't beat the vibes that you expect an explosion to give you. :)

Gary.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to the precedence effect, your stay will not be pleasant and you will eventually leave disappointed.

Look up "Haas Effect" in regard to subwoofer placement.

Mike.

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Flimber for that info . it dos'nt sound all too good . from that all i would be able to hear is bass so that idear is out the window , shame too :(

Gary do you know of a place on the net to get somthing like the bass shakers , they must be cheep

i want lots of bass but the rest of the world (or at least the world around me) seems to have other idears . so somthing that will give me localised bass is needed

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    The cheepest shakers I've seen are from www.conrad.de

They'll ship to the UK - if you don't order enough they'll send you an e-mail, but just offer to pay postage if that happens (according to someone who ordered a couple of 11 euro items)

Do a product search, and you should come up with Bass Pump III.

They're about £32 each at the current Euro exchange rate. I have 4 cheaper versions of these in my two seater cinema seat, but I'm sure two will do the job fine.

You could always e-mail them first for shipping charges.

Other than those, I'm not sure who sells them in the UK, so maybe try doing a search for Aura bass shakers (Aura make a bass shaker, and a Pro version).

HTH

Gary