1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sofa Position & Reer Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of moving house and my new HC room is alot larger than my existing one. I am thinking of upgrading my speakers and was thinking of getting the MS THX 500 package. My only concern is that the sofa is going to be between 4-6 feet from the reer wall and was concerned that the bipolers might not be suitable, perhaps some bookshelfs instead? Any comments on this as I really like the look of the MS package but dont want bipolers if they are not suitable for sofa's not against the wall. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Cheers

Jon

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The sofa location should be irrelevant to the placing of the rear speakers. The 506 Dipoles work best on either side of the listening position but can be a fair old distance behind you if you need.

3. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that mate! What would you say is the ideal hightfor them?

Cheers

jon

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    5 to 6 feet is what we put in the manual :).

5. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the quick responses, much appreciated! The speakers would be around 8 feet apart (with around 2-4 feet of sapace the other side), 6 feet high (on back wall) with the sofa 6 feet off the wall. Would this be about right? Sorry to apear so dense (im not really) just want to be sure they are suitable for the room.

Cheers

jon

P.S. can i download the manual online?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Should work fine. The 506 is fairly shallow in aspect which means that the effects "throw" will still be forward even though as a dipole the drivers are nominally on the "sides."

The manual should be as a pdf on the website for a look. My company contacts are at the bottom of the FAQ page as well for more info.

7. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help mate, its very much appreciated! You say it should work fine which does make me think there is something more suitable than DiPolers for my room, would a pair of decent Book shelfs on brackets be better? (Last question I promise).

Cheers

jon

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Technically you could sell the 506 Dipoles for a handsome fee and replace them with something like the MS902/912 which would work better in a true "rear speaker" postion. I would suggest giving the 506's a spin first to see how you get on.

9. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mate!

10. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know i said i wouldnt ask any more questions, but what do you think about getting some floorstanding reers instead, perhaps a pair of 906's. I am ordering the THX package tomorrow and might sell the reers straight on. My only reservation is they might be a bit low, what do you (Tons of Fun) and or anyone else think. Cheers again for your help!!!!

Cheers

jon

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    They would be a little bit low but they can be placed on the very short atacama stands for a height boost.

12. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mate! I was thinking of another pair of 502's, but thought that might be overkill!! I will have a look at the bipoles when i get them and think about it some more then! Thanks again for your help, its very much appreciated!!!

Cheers

jon

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    There is a US customer who's registered system listed as 6x MS502's which would be an interesting listen.

14. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to hear that!

15. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

Just to say that I took the plunge and ordered from RS today, should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday! Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Jon