SOCOM III, 3rd time lucky!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been reading the review of SOCOM III on IGN, looks/sounds fatastic.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/656/656774p1.html

At last a reason to give the PS2 some online play, 32 player support & vehicles, sounds a bit like Battlefield 1942 which was one of my favourite online games ever!

So who's going to order a copy? :smashin:

Great review for the game - can't wait. Just need to wait now for a UK release date....

Thought I'd bring this thread back to see how many of you lot are planning on buying SOCOM 3.

Just noticed it's now available to preorder from Gameplay for £24.99(without headset), good price for this little gem:D http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=PT1808&P36=3HDT6R

Seems like the official UK release is down for May 26th though, not April 21st as Gameplay state.

Anyone know yet if the PAL release is going to support the full 32 players online as with the NTSC version? I can't seem to clarify this from any info I can find, lets hope so, should be a blast! Should be the best online game to land on the PS2.

I for one am pretty excited about this one, especially if I can't get Xbox Live to work over here. With my UK PS2 & a PAL SOCOM 3, I should get to play you lot again:eek: :D

Tetlee said:
Thought I'd bring this thread back to see how many of you lot are planning on buying SOCOM 3.

Just noticed it's now available to preorder from Gameplay for £24.99(without headset), good price for this little gem:D http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=PT1808&P36=3HDT6R

Seems like the official UK release is down for May 26th though, not April 21st as Gameplay state.

Anyone know yet if the PAL release is going to support the full 32 players online as with the NTSC version? I can't seem to clarify this from any info I can find, lets hope so, should be a blast! Should be the best online game to land on the PS2.

I for one am pretty excited about this one, especially if I can't get Xbox Live to work over here. With my UK PS2 & a PAL SOCOM 3, I should get to play you lot again:eek: :D

I'll be getting it for sure - and so will the rest of my clan of 12.

I'm also a PS2 beta tester - so I don't think I'll be breaking any NDA in confirming the number of players as it's already been stated as 32 players. I will of course confirm this once we get around to test it.....But first, Metal Gear 3: Subsistence has to be tested....when my disk arrives! :mad:

Mickus said:
I'm also a PS2 beta tester - so I don't think I'll be breaking any NDA in confirming the number of players as it's already been stated as 32 players. I will of course confirm this once we get around to test it

:clap: Sounds reassuring, just I saw someone on ebay selling a NTSC version claiming the PAL release wouldn't support the same number of online players, those sneaky sellers:rolleyes:

Mickus said:
I'll be getting it for sure - and so will the rest of my clan of 12.

I'm also a PS2 beta tester - so I don't think I'll be breaking any NDA in confirming the number of players as it's already been stated as 32 players. I will of course confirm this once we get around to test it.....But first, Metal Gear 3: Subsistence has to be tested....when my disk arrives! :mad:

im a beta tester too! got Metal Gear 3 this morning!

Just trying it out now.

Andy Mack said:
im a beta tester too! got Metal Gear 3 this morning!

Just trying it out now.

Just got my disk today...Just need to get the boy off the PS2 now !

Looks like the official dates are 19th of April for Europe & the 21st for the UK.:smashin:

Mickus said:
Looks like the official dates are 19th of April for Europe & the 21st for the UK.:smashin:

Wowsers, looks like you're right, I thought it was set for May 26th. I need to get my PS2 power pack out of customs fast:D

Just ordered a promo copy(promo not pirate) from ebay, good price & cheap postage to send it to Argentina, I'm not bothered about box/instructions so seemed perfect. I just hope it feautures online play as with the full retail version:rolleyes: I'm guessing it should as these are the copies people are given out for making reviews?

Anyway, have also ordered replacement cables for my PS2 as my originals are still stuck here in customs(don't want to wait any longer), I should be online with this one in a couple of weeks.....at last!!:D

I'll probably be the worst online Socom player ever, but hey, someone has to be;)

Mickus said:
I'so I don't think I'll be breaking any NDA in confirming the number of players as it's already been stated as 32 players.

I've been lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to beta test quite a few games and you'd be surprised at what the NDA prevents you from actually saying...:suicide: [I've been caught out a few times on a forum]

dodger747 said:
I've been lucky enough to have the oppurtunity to beta test quite a few games and you'd be surprised at what the NDA prevents you from actually saying...:suicide: [I've been caught out a few times on a forum]

Well in the end the Europe beta testers never got to test Socom 3. So it looks like Joe Public will be doing their testing for them!

Fingers crossed it's a peach....

I also read today (unable to link from work) that Socom 4 will be released in the States this fall (November) and will support up to 4
players in co-op story mode in addition to the full-on online gubbins - which is nice.

It's also been confirmed for the PS3.

Is that really SOCOM 4 or the news/rumour going about of a new PS2 SOCOM game: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149783

SOCOM US Navy Seals Combined Assault is coming to PS2 and a handheld sequel uniquely titled SOCOM US Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo 2
We know when Zipper got bought out by Sony it meant Sony wanted a SOCOM game on the PS3 (as previously Zipper had said they wanted to do new projects), but i didnt think there had been any confirmation of PS3 games yet.

But back to Tetlee's original post, yeah i'll be on tomorrow morning (21st April) although the servers are up now apparently. Username = Stinja, clan = WAC (We Are Crap). They will probably be a WAC room up all day and definitely Friday evening, so drop in and say hi if anyones about.

iZed said:
clan = WAC (We Are Crap).

Now that sounds like my kind of clan:rotfl:

Well, my PS2 component cable has just been shipped, hopefully the game has been posted also(he hasn't notified me yet but not all ebayers bother to). Takes 2 weeks every time for post to arrive so that should be when I'll be signing in for the first time:) .

I'm hoping I'll be able to connect to the European servers from over here. I tried a test last night, I borrowed a standard PS2 cable & used video-in on my projector which is the only connection I can use right now(good enough for a online test at least). The only net play game I could get my hands on was a PAL copy of F12005.

Trouble is it left me pretty confused, if I tried the connection test option in the game menu, it came through as "sucessfull", but if I tried to connect for an online game, it kept saying server timed out, so no connection to an online game:confused:. Now I don't know if it's due to where I'm trying to connect from, or just down to F105s dodgy servers? Hmm, guess I'll just have to await the arrival of Socom3 and hope for the best, I know if you have a NTSC PS2 and an NTSC version of Socom, you could connect to the US servers of the game, surely it should also work the other way around .

PS iZed, still waiting for my PSP USB charger to arrive. I now have both SOCOM & Syphon Filter for the PSP, but now power in the batteries. I ordered charger cables from both cdwow & play-asia so one or both should be dropping through the letter box any day now. It's been a long wait but I'm almost there:thumbsup:

Hope to see you all online soon:clap: :clap: :clap:

Tetlee said:
... but now power in the batteries. I ordered charger cables from both cdwow & play-asia so one or both should be dropping through the letter box any day now.
By the time you get online we'll all be playing the PlayXrevolution7 or have brain-internet implants :D But a big "yay" if it is soon.

Now we have the proper SOCOM3 it interesting to see how it plays, a 32 player game with a big mix of nationalities started to get some lag, but they must have really improved the netcode as its nowhere near as bad as say 16 player Vigilance in S2. 20 players, mostly UK-based, was absolutely smooth. There wasnt loads of people on yet, so when the servers pick up it might change again, but so far its encouraging.

iZed said:
Now we have the proper SOCOM3 it interesting to see how it plays, a 32 player game with a big mix of nationalities started to get some lag, but they must have really improved the netcode as its nowhere near as bad as say 16 player Vigilance in S2. 20 players, mostly UK-based, was absolutely smooth. There wasnt loads of people on yet, so when the servers pick up it might change again, but so far its encouraging.

I must say so far I am quite impressed with the game. You dont seem to have the 'L3 and R3' problem that was such a pain in the first two titles,which is nice. I will get used to not using L2 to quick change weapons in time. The new maps really are big. Not seen all of the maps yet though.

As for not having loads of people online,when I left yesterday afternoon there were 3 full UK lobbies and loads of others around europe full too. I hope the PS2 online community gets behind this game and gives me folks to play against cos I feel I will be palying this loads during the day (one of the pitfalls of being a night worker)

Been on for a few times now - does anyone else feel that some of maps are way too big - even for 32 players?

Sort of. I think Supression isnt a good choice anymore, and highly recommend Demolition as the default gamemode choice for "deathmatching" and not playing a more specific game mode (Extraction, Control etc).

Why you ask? Supression can be really hard to find that last one or two people, as you say the big maps, and its dull-dull-dull waiting for those last 2-4 minutes. On the smaller S1/S2 maps it could be tense as people semi-knew where the others were, now its either camp or roam aimlessly. Also i think the auto-win if you outnumber them isnt partcularly fair. Say the SEALs start with 3 extra people (happens sometimes) they can camp making it very difficult for the Ts. The Ts could kill more SEALs but still lose - just seems a bit wrong.

By choosing Demo games a time-out is a draw. If you get down to 1 vs 1/2/3 and you cant find the enemy, you can force them to fight you by going for the bomb, and the team which is outnumbered at the start has more of a chance to win by going for a plant rather than slugging it out. Overall i think Demolition is a much better mode than Supression, and greatly helps with the "too big" map problem (as do the other game modes).

hongkonguk said:
As for not having loads of people online,when I left yesterday afternoon there were 3 full UK lobbies and loads of others around europe full too. I hope the PS2 online community gets behind this game and gives me folks to play against cos I feel I will be palying this loads during the day (one of the pitfalls of being a night worker)
Ha ha, me too! I do midnight till 0800, so often play in the morning, go to bed about 11am then am up in the early evening. The numbers are definietly improving, and many of the old faces i knew that drifted away at the end of S2 have come back. We lost one of our old clan leaders to the 360's GRAW game, but others that have both say S3 still has something GRAW lacks.

iZed said:
Sort of. I think Supression isnt a good choice anymore, and highly recommend Demolition as the default gamemode choice for "deathmatching" and not playing a more specific game mode (Extraction, Control etc).

Why you ask? Supression can be really hard to find that last one or two people, as you say the big maps, and its dull-dull-dull waiting for those last 2-4 minutes. On the smaller S1/S2 maps it could be tense as people semi-knew where the others were, now its either camp or roam aimlessly. Also i think the auto-win if you outnumber them isnt partcularly fair. Say the SEALs start with 3 extra people (happens sometimes) they can camp making it very difficult for the Ts. The Ts could kill more SEALs but still lose - just seems a bit wrong.

By choosing Demo games a time-out is a draw. If you get down to 1 vs 1/2/3 and you cant find the enemy, you can force them to fight you by going for the bomb, and the team which is outnumbered at the start has more of a chance to win by going for a plant rather than slugging it out. Overall i think Demolition is a much better mode than Supression, and greatly helps with the "too big" map problem (as do the other game modes).

Ha ha, me too! I do midnight till 0800, so often play in the morning, go to bed about 11am then am up in the early evening. The numbers are definietly improving, and many of the old faces i knew that drifted away at the end of S2 have come back. We lost one of our old clan leaders to the 360's GRAW game, but others that have both say S3 still has something GRAW lacks.

Agreed. I think it was a supression game on a large map which bored me slightly. However, as you have rightly stated - once you add some objectives into the mix - the large maps make more sense. Supression on a 16 player map makes for Socom 2-like action. Overall, it's got the best of both worlds and a long life ahead of it. Great game. :smashin:

My copy arrived today so I'll be good for an online connection test tonight, really hope it connects up to the European servers ok from here.

Now I need my component cable to arrive(only have the video-in option at the moment through my PJ, don't have a TV yet), and then I need to pop out and get a cheap optical cable. After that I'll be ready for action.

Can't wait!

I could do with some Socom3 friends for the online play, anyone here like to play online without taking it too seriously(as I'm pretty bad at the game;) ). If so please pass me your Socom3 gamerhandle so I can get some people added to my friends list:thumbsup:

Tetlee said:
I could do with some Socom3 friends for the online play, anyone here like to play online without taking it too seriously(as I'm pretty bad at the game;) ). If so please pass me your Socom3 gamerhandle so I can get some people added to my friends list:thumbsup:

Feel free to add me - Mickus.

You sound an ideal candidate for 'The Cheddar Clan' ([CDR]) - we're rubbish too ! (But we don't care).

Mainly on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays anytime from 9 p.m (GMT) onwards.

Mickus said:
You sound an ideal candidate for 'The Cheddar Clan' ([CDR]) - we're rubbish too ! (But we don't care).

Or,if you are of a certain age......why not check out the Old Age Playstationers (OAPs)?

More of a community than a clan,we play every night of the week. We only stipulate that you are over 27 (preferably,although we do have some younger members) and don't bitch,moan or gripe during the game. If you fancy joining a team to,we have four to choose from,none requiring great abilities.:thumbsup:

Mickus said:
Feel free to add me - Mickus.

Perfect, will add you next time I connect, will try to get online tomorrow or thursday:thumbsup:

hongkonguk said:
Or,if you are of a certain age......why not check out the Old Age Playstationers (OAPs)?

More of a community than a clan,we play every night of the week. We only stipulate that you are over 27 (preferably,although we do have some younger members) and don't bitch,moan or gripe during the game. If you fancy joining a team to,we have four to choose from,none requiring great abilities.:thumbsup:

Yep, I fit that criteria, 32 this month:rolleyes: , great community name BTW!

Will take a look at that link. I don't have have any great abilities it's fair to say, although I am quite a good target;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom