1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sockets on panasonic plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dood, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am about to buy a panasonic TH-42PWD7W. This is a plasma monitor, progressive scan but not high def.

I have noticed that the sockets for composite and component video are not the standard RCA sockets but look like RF antenna sockets. What are these called and what jacks fit into them?

In order to get the best picture I can from my tosh RDSX32 DVD recorder, I will have to make up a cable. The Tosh only has scart and the plasma does not have scart. Can I get a ready made cable using RGB scart on one end and component video and stereo audio RCA jacks on the other? Can I get a fairly decent length (upto 10m) of such a cable or do I have to make it up? My concern is that component jacks are not RCA but some other format.

Other issues I have with this plasma are that it is a monitor, ie it has no built-in tuner. Also it only has 2 video inputs, one composite and one component. The lack of tuner is not critical as I could use my VCR for this purpose. However, this coupled with the relative lack of inputs means that I will be dependent on my receiver to output to the plasma and that I can't just use the "TV" on its own. The monitor does have speakers.

Are there any simple work arounds that you can suggest to help me if I don't want to use the receiver? The problem is that my receiver is dodgy and unreliable (Denon 3300). Can anyone recommend a simple switchbox that takes in more than one source and outputs to the TV? Are there any cheap tuners that I could use or would a second hand VCR dedicated for that job be the answer?

Finally if I were to buy a new receiver, preferably denon or yamaha, would the middle of the range models up convert all signals to component?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there is a scart for this plasma and i think the sockets you refer too are BNC connections (RCA versions are available) see the what to buy for £2k in the plasma FAQ for loads more info

there is a Tuner box available the TU-PT600B/E (model number something like that!) so there are loads of ways to do this

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just checked with the dealer. They are indeed BNC sockets and he's getting me some RCA to BNC adaptors.

4. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There is a guy on the powerbuy forum called Mark Grant who makes analogue and digital cables. He will supply component cables with BNC and RCA terminations. This will be preferable to RCA to BNC adapters.

5. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No it doesn't. I have my RDSX32 is connected to my PW7 by component.

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    correct. I noticed soon after posting that it does indeed have component, composite and scart. Don't know what I was thinking of when I posted. My sat decoder is connected to the tosh via RGB scart. I have read lots of threads about using an E55 to convert RGB scart to component. How good a job does the tosh do in this regard?