1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socket 939 NF4 Motherboard - passive cooled. Which one?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by OneEleven, Sep 8, 2005.

1. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to build a games machine around a Dual core AMD64.
    I was looking at the Abit AN8 Ultra, and the Gigabyte GA K8N Ultra 9.

What drew me to these boards is the fact they have passive chipset cooling. I want this machine to be quiet and will be investing a lot in quiet cooling (Thermalright XP120, Silverstone Tejim TJ05 (this case arrive yesterday - it's so so nice), 120mm acousticfans all round etc. etc.)

Not too interested in the brand thing - I've built machines with both boards with no problems

What are peoples experience with these boards :confused:

Are their any other alternatives (passive chipset cooling is a must) :lease:

2. Nitesh9999

Nitesh9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have no experience of your suggestions, but the Asus A8N SLI Premium has a passively cooled chipset too.

I used to have the Asus A8N Sli Deluxe (moved to the DFI SLI-DR for overclocking reasons). And its a cracking stable board. Very easy to setup and a brilliant manual. The premium is even better. So I would recommend it!!

Nitesh

3. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooo I'll give that a look - I've used a few DFI LanParty baords in teh past and have been most impressed.

4. Nitesh9999

Nitesh9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, i wasn't clear,

The DFI is what I use now, it ISN'T Passively cooled :thumbsdow

The Asus A8N Sli Premium is the board that is passively cooled.

Link
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-p/overview.htm

I used to own the deluxe version of that baord (not passive) and it was great, so I can only assume the Premium is better, the reviews have been good :smashin:

Hope that clears things up.

Nitesh

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I too have the Asus A8N Delux - would recommend the Premiun (wish I'd bought it). It can switch SLi modes on the fly as well

6. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Or just stick a zalman NF4 cooler on the cheaper asus A8n-Deluxe like I did.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Indeed. I'm going for a Zalman NB47J. But the premium is only £13 more than the delux, and buy the time you've bought a cooler (not in stock everywhere, and rip off £15.56 at overclock. £9 at overcloers, and not in stock) the difference would be minimal, and the premium wouldn't require you to have to add a cooler, AND you can switch SLi modes without opening the PC up.

If you want a quiet board, and think you may ever use SLi, I wouldn't by the Delux (which is what I bought - doh).

8. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Won't be using SLI - graphics will either be a 6600GT passive ox X800-XL passive

9. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Save yourself £40 and get a possible new champion http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524. A fantastic board for the price. Not really for hardcore overclockers unless you have a sweet chip but otherwise I would have bought that board over my AN8 in a heart beat if it was out a few weeks back. Oh yeah did I mention it can use you existing AGP card until your ready for PCI-Express. Also PCI_Express performance is exceptional.